Lebanese Tiran 5

2019 Desert Warfare Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/19 - to 31/12/19. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Lebanese Tiran 5

Post by Adam Durrant »

Despite my statements that I will complete one group build at a time I keep looking at my planned desert build and am keen to get underway. I want to build a Lebanese Tiran 5 as the blue/grey camo is an interesting variant.

I'm using Migs "Tiran Tanks in Lebanese Wars" book. I've also done a fair amount of Googling and the more I look the more confused I get. This is the basic kit I plan to use;

I've bought the Legend detail kit (Resin and PE parts) and already have Fruil aftermarket T-55 tracks in the stash. I've also ordered the Star Decals Lebanese markings sheet.

Tamiya is calling their kit a "Tiran 5" but it appears to have the Sharir 105mm gun (interestingly an Israeli licenced copy of a US licensed copy of a British gun). This by rights should make it a Tiran-5Sh, the Tiran 5 had the original 100mm gun. I realise the Tirans were captured T-54/55/62 tanks and there was a spectrum of modifications.

The issue is the gun, all the Lebanese "Tiran 5" tanks in my references appear to have the D-10T 100mm gun by the looks of it (fume extractor at the end of the barrel), so would I be correct to replace the Tamiya gun barrel with an aftermarket to correct this, or have I missed something in the nomenclature of the Tirans?

Any of you IDF fan boys want to wade in here with some advice??
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olivier Carneau

Re: Lebanese Tiran 5

Post by Olivier Carneau »

You got it right about the gun. The Lebanese Tiran 5 kept the original 100mm gun. And only the SLA Tirans were painted in the blue Grey color you want to depict yours.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks Olivier, on the strength of that I’ve just ordered an aftermarket barrel from Voyager. :D
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice choice Adam! :D

I've considered one of these, using the new Miniart kits. I remember Gary correcting Tamiya's T-55 wheels with endless strips of stretched sprue :?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Oh crap, forgot about that. I’ll check the kit tonight, hopefully it’s not a reissue of the basic Tamiya T-55 with add ons. If it is I might look at some aftermarket wheels....
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Just about to add some AK "SLA Blue" paint to the order when I realised these were sitting on the shelf staring it me!

Bought them for another build that never eventuated....
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets what I have. What really sucks is when you buy something at a model show for a really great price, just to get it home and realize you already have the same thing. :roll:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

...I’d hate to tell you how many jars of Tamiya “Buff” paint I have...

Just checked the kit, the tyres are wrong, the ribs are recessed. Looks like I can either ignore this, do the stretches sprue thing, or get some aftermarket ones... :?
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

or maybe you can remove the rubber part altogether and do it burnt out? :D Just saying. ;)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

...that would be way too adventurous for me! I’ve found a set from MiniArt on special so should be all set. :D
Completed Campaigns: