US Army Tractor

2017 Recovery & Engineering Vehicles Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/07/17 - to 31/12/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

US Army Tractor

Post by Gary Boxall »

Vincent beat me to it - but in my defence, I was a little way away from the workbench :lol:

Thinking about making this into a civilian version by simply painting it red or orange. Thought it would be an ideal subject to place on the cobbled section I recently painted. I've just ordered some resin wheels from http://www.lzmodels.com/Thunder-Model-kits.html I think a figure will be needed too so will need to source something suitable at some stage.

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Justin Wooding

Re: US Army Tractor

Post by Justin Wooding »

I guess we are going to see a few of these, i have my underway to, just haven't got photos up :P

It's a nice kit! The resin wheels look good, although i have used the kit ones which seem to be fine.

I will have to get my build onto the forum too. Will be interesting to see how we compare them and how the individual builds evolve.
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Slightly off topic though. Your photo is cut off short. This happens to me if i post a 1024 image. I always have to resize to 900 to get the full photo. I have noticed this in other posts also.
Woody...

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Vincent Power »

Good choice Gary ;)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

It is a nice little kit and certainly something a little different for sure.

You kick things off with the engine/transmission assembly...

While parts do go together well, there are some seams that need to be dealt with where the parts join. A little tricky in places but certainly doable with care.

Some detail is either missing or over simplified and decent reference photos have been challenging to find given the variations in model types of the real thing. The gear drive pump is omitted completely even though there is a hole in the mounting plate where it should fit. I simply made one from a piece of sprue.

You get a distributor cap and coil, but no spark plugs :?: So I added plugs and then the leads using lead wire....

A few missing bolt heads and brackets were also added before attcahing the radiator assembly and fuel tank...

No battery is included so will need to scrtachbuild one next.

Gary

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice start :D

Woody, the cut off images problem seems to be a mobile issue. It's the same on both my phone and tablet but not on my desktop. To be honest I have no idea how to fix this, most likely it's a forum software bug.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote:Nice start :D

Woody, the cut off images problem seems to be a mobile issue. It's the same on both my phone and tablet but not on my desktop. To be honest I have no idea how to fix this, most likely it's a forum software bug.

Philipp
Not sure it's totally isolated to phones and tablets, images over 900 are also cut off on my apple laptop, but 900 and under size nicely.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Yep, not just on my phone. On my desktop too the images are too wide.
Woody...

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Okay, 900 sized images for those having viewing issues.

I couldn't find any decent ref images, so made a battery and tray from scratch - may not be 100% accurate but looks the part. Also added the rear axle and diff housing. Good fitment of parts but joints need to be carefully sanded to hide them as they will be quite prominent later on during painting. The fender mounting brackets are also added at this stage and I replaced the moulded on square shaped clamp rods with round styrene ones which will look more realistic under paint...

Gary

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Fantastic detail Gary as usual. :D

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage