Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer "Prague 1945"

2017 Panzer 38(t) and Variants Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer "Prague 1945"

Post by Adam Durrant »

So here's my "sanity" project to distract me from the M109A6 Paladin over on the SPG GB. I originally ordered the Hetzer (Late) Academy kit but HobbyEasy sold out before my order was filled. The good people there asked if I wanted a substitute so I went for this and to apologise they upgraded my shipping for free :D Again, got to give it up to the guys at HobbyEasy :!:

This will be a straight OOB build. No aftermarket bits....well only a few! I've looked at this kit several times but deleted it from my virtual cart at the last minute on every occasion. Finally bit the bullet and may have found a use for the "German Primer" acrylic set I bought from Ammo a few months back ;)

The box is well stocked, details are crisp, sprue gates are small. Tracks are link and length and look like they will do. The kit is obviously the Academy Hetzer (late) kit but with a resin piece to replicate the piece of armour plate welded over the main gun opening. There is a small photo etch fret in what looks like stainless rather than brass. Decals are waterslide and give markings for two examples.

Instruction manual is clear, only 12 steps (56 in the Paladin build!). These little Hetzers were essentially mobile machine-gun bunkers. References on colours are vague but suggest they were either "in the white" or just primed then decorated "in the field".

Shouldn't take too long to build, biggest interruption is the "long weekend" I'm taking in Fiji starting tomorrow :D

Adam
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer "Prague 1945"

Post by Philipp Gross »

Excellent choice :D That is one beautifully obscure subject.

Adam Durrant wrote: Shouldn't take too long to build, biggest interruption is the "long weekend" I'm taking in Fiji starting tomorrow :D
If you keep going there you might as well set up a permanent second workshop on the beach :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote:Excellent choice :D That is one beautifully obscure subject.

Adam Durrant wrote: Shouldn't take too long to build, biggest interruption is the "long weekend" I'm taking in Fiji starting tomorrow :D
If you keep going there you might as well set up a permanent second workshop on the beach :lol:

Philipp
It's just too easy to get there from NZ Phil, 2:45hrs on a plane then 34deg and sunny :D

We think you guys in Europe are spoilt with how close the Greek Islands and the like are!
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

True, the various mediterranean islands can be nice too, but Fiji sounds a lot more exciting than Corfu :lol:

By the way, even the Greeks have snow right now :o

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Enjoy your trip Adam. Looks like a nice kit to get your teeth into when you return. ;)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

That is a interesting looking vehicle. If I'm not mistaken a former member here on PA :lol: , build one before.

Is this the kit you built Rob? Just kidding about the former member thing. Only giving you a hard time, because I am really not the one who should be talking about people not being here much. :lol:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Well, got back from this;

32deg and 98% humidity, to Aucklands 22deg and rain a few days ago. Back into work, but have been doing a little bit of "sanity" modelling over the last few nights.

First impressions of the Academy kit are good. There have been no major fit issues so far and detail is crisp. I am not sure why they do it, but they have included a small photo etch fret in what looks like stainless steel. This is nice, but the details they chose to be on it could have been done in plastic and still have scale thickness. This PE for the sake of PE thing does get a bit annoying :x

I have gone off course with my OOB build, I plan to modify the MG port, the kit gives you three options, one PE and two resin, but I don't like any. There are pics on the net of a single piece of armour welded over the gun opening and I quite like this.

Should be fairly easy to do in styrene.

Anyway, pics to follow.

Adam
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Good choice :) These Hetzers certainly were a colourful bunch. I guess you'll hand-paint the markings on this one?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote:Good choice :) These Hetzers certainly were a colourful bunch. I guess you'll hand-paint the markings on this one?

Philipp
The kit comes with "graffiti" decals, but with the paint job I have planned I'll probably hand paint the grafitti and mask out the Polish flag rather than try and "antique" the kit decals.
Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Shawn Ramsey wrote:That is a interesting looking vehicle. If I'm not mistaken a former member here on PA :lol: , build one before.

Is this the kit you built Rob? Just kidding about the former member thing. Only giving you a hard time, because I am really not the one who should be talking about people not being here much. :lol:

Shawn
Guilty as charged :oops:

Great kit - you'll enjoy it Adam

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage