SU-100, Yemen 2015

2022 Middle East Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/07/22 - to 31/12/22. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

SU-100, Yemen 2015

Post by Philipp Gross »

About time I unveiled my entry for this GB... :oops:

Originally I was going to built my Trumpeter IS-3m I previously posted here, but in the meantime something else caught my attention:

You might have seen this photo before...a genuine WW2-era SU-100 still in active service in 2015 in the Yemeni Civil War. No idea how many if any still remain today, this war didn't exactly cause much media attention in the western world.

You can read a lot about the SU-100 in postwar service in the Middle East on this very informative website: https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/201 ... ddle-east/

At the very end of the page is a short section on the Yemeni SU-100. Note that most vehicles in the region were actually postwar SD-100 produced in Czechoslovakia - you can easily recognize them by the stowage box on the front right corner and the commander's cupola with a one-piece hatch lid.

I'm using the Zvezda kit, which I bought long before the current geopolitical mess started:

Normally I'd show you the box contents, but I got a little carried away and started building before I took any photos. But here's a good review of the kit.

And after 3-4 lazy summer evenings at the bench this is where I'm currently at:

I know, it looks almost done, but knowing myself, I'd say I'll spend much more time improving kit details :lol:

Since the tank on the photo has the postwar "starfish" wheels (similar but not identical to those on the T-54/55), I swapped them out with those from a Miniart T-34 Model 1960 I found cheap on Ebay. Miniart also sells them separately, if you happen to need some. I've also added a metal barrel by RB Model. The kit comes with a single-piece barrel with separate hollow end cap, which isn't really bad at all.

So far, it went together smoothly. If you want to omit the front fenders, be prepared for a bit of surgery to recreate the contours of the armour plates and to close the resulting gap at the hull front:

There's still a considerable gap on the underside, which would also happen on an OOTB build. I might yet add some bits of styrene sheet to close them up. Also note the gap between the fenders and sponsons, I'm not sure if this is due to warping or a substantial engineering error by Zvezda.

Fitting the Miniart wheels required some drilling and the addition of 2mm spacers, after failing repeatedly to cut styrene tube to the proper lenght I resorted to punching out disks from sheet styrene. :?

A nice surprise was the inclusion of clear plastic parts. Not sure if that is all what's going on inside the cupola. I'll leave the hatches off until I've decided on figure placement. By the way, the cast texture was made with Vallejo putty stippled on with an old brush, I'm curious how it'll look under some paint. Since it's water-based, you can scrape it off again if you're not satisfied. I've used it for Zimmerit before and there it yielded good results.

Some of the mouled on details which I'm going to replace with photoetch. I don't have a set for the SU-100, but a few T-34 sets by Eduard that should have most of what I need.

Thanks for looking, I'm afraid further progress will have to wait for two weeks until I'm back from a long-awaited vacation :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: SU-100, Yemen 2015

Post by Vincent Power »

Interesting subject Philipp. I would never have thought a SU-100 from WW2 would be active in 2015. Amazing stuff. :)
Good start on the kit as well. I'll have to try your tip about Vallejo putty for zimmerit. :D
Will you be doing any figures with this one?

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Well done Philipp
I have a T34/85 from the same "Forgotten War" to finish off, one day!
Looks like a good start with a mediocre kit.
I need to get back to both of mine soon :oops:
Rubber band tracks?
Have fun
Regards
Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thank you gentlemen :)

Vincent, I'll be using a figure or two from the crew set I bought for the IS-3. Here's one of my builds where I used the putty for Zimmerit, with the help of an etched rake tool: https://www.plasticpanzers.com/phpBB/vi ... =10&t=1793

Steve, I remember your T-34...I certainly wouldn't mind seeing that one finished :D

I wouldn't say the recent Zvezda T-34 series is mediocre, it is certainly designed with a lot of attention to detail. Lots of tiny parts that wouldn't look out of place on a Bronco kit, I just haven't used most of them yet :lol: The tracks are link & lenght, and so far I plan on using them.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Thanks for the link Philipp :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Philipp Gross wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 10:05 I wouldn't say the recent Zvezda T-34 series is mediocre
Philipp
Thats good to hear Philipp.
They do have a "before" and "after" to their catalogue!

Have fun with the figures too!
Hornet heads Africans, they do make them!

Regards

Steve H

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Time for a long overdue update - didn't get to do much thanks to various Grandpa-related reasons.

The design of the Zvezda kit doesn't allow for empty fuel drum holders, and of course the real thing was lacking a few drums. A few Dragon spare parts came to the rescue:

For the large air intake I used a grille from an old Eduard etch set. The louvers inside were also changed to an open position, but it's not really visible unless you look really close. The empty brackets for the smoke canisters were easier, all I needed here were some leftover PE strips.

Yes, the cover is bent and barely holding on on purpose :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Nice additions Philipp. Good to see this one back. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thank you Vincent! :) For the rest of the build I want to use as little photoetch as possible, so hopefully it will be finished a bit faster....famous last words :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Good to see this one moving forward Philipp
And no too much PE
The engine cover look just right too ;)
getting redy for paint once the tracks are done
Have fun and don't forget those African heads
Better with the Sub Saharan as the African set don't look right.
They just look like they have had a dodgy nose job!
Regards
Steve H

Completed Campaigns: