1/35 Panzer I “Breda” (Ammo A.MIG-8506)

2022 Interwar Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/22 - to 30/06/22. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

1/35 Panzer I “Breda” (Ammo A.MIG-8506)

Post by Adam Durrant »

Despite world wide postage dramas, courtesy of Covid, this turned up within a week of ordering direct from Ammo.
0D6EC2B4-08D8-4A55-8EDB-1868E5ABABDC.jpeg
0D6EC2B4-08D8-4A55-8EDB-1868E5ABABDC.jpeg (118.26 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
From what I can tell (internet 🧐) the wee Breda was an attempt by the Nationalists to combat the Republican T-26s and BV-6s (45mm gun) they were up against armed only with machine gun toting Panzer Is and CV-35s. Only 4 were manufactured (converted “in house” from existing Panzer I’s) but soon became obsolete as there were enough captured T-26s, and there were issues with the vehicle (poor protection for the crew - the aiming port was just a big hole so exposed the crew to small arms fire) and the gun (reliability issues, and penetration issues). Germany showed an interest in the concept but by then the Panzer II and III were on the drawing board. None survive, 2 are reported knocked out, one had a round cook off inside the breech and it is suggested the 4th was destroyed by the crew. Of note the crew didn’t like them and called them “Death Cars”

The kit is “limited edition” (whatever that means), designed by Ammo on the back of their 1/16 scale kit. Not stated, but pretty obvious, is that the kit is moulded by Takom with their Panzer I Ausf A as a basis.

I also bought the corresponding 6 bottle paint set “Guerra Civil Eapañola Nascionales” (A.MIG-7184) to simplify the painting for me.

I have to finish off the 38(t) that’s on the bench first, I’ll do a review of the box contents when I get to that stage. ;)
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Re: 1/35 Panzer I “Breda” (Ammo A.MIG-8506)

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Definitely on the right track Adam

I found pretty much the same when I did mine.

At least yours will be OOTB, no kit bashing.

Aber do a Breda gun if it needs upgrading but it should be OK as its a recent kit.

I originally tried the MB Breda back in 2012, which was a real nightmare.

Yours should be a walk in the park by comparison.

Have fun once you get started

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks for the reference pics Steve, there are a few in the manual as well so means I don’t have to double up on your research! :D
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Spain seems to be a popular destination these days :lol:

I have no idea how the Takom Panzer I is, so I'll follow with interest :D

How are the paints? I guess the camo scheme is simply the pre-1935 Reichswehr Buntfarbenanstrich?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

So, a bit of a contents review.

The kit comes in a compact, top opening, box with attractive box art as well as a complete list of the Ammo paints you will need for the build.

7 spruces are all individually wrapped in plastic as well as two PE frets, a bathtub hull, hull top and turret in ziplock bags. One small decal sheet looks nicely printed and mine are all in register. There is also a short length of braided copper for a tow cable. Parts count is supposedly 220+.
125ED0E2-2AEC-4C8B-82A6-68E040EA5FE3.jpeg
125ED0E2-2AEC-4C8B-82A6-68E040EA5FE3.jpeg (128.49 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Parts are crisply moulded with fine weld detail as well as manufactures markings on the return roller tyres (both sides, seems redundant to have it on the back where it won’t be seen). There are notable moulded lines, which should be easy to clean up, apart from on complex parts like the suspension spring. Sprue gates are in logical spots, apart from the usual Takom desire to put huge sprue gates onto the teeth of the drive sprocket where they will be tricky to remove without deforming the teeth.

There are a number of extra parts, again due to the fact the base kit is from the Takom Panzer I Ausf A and Ausf B boxing. Track is in the link and length format.

The instruction manual is the typical Takom format with 20 steps all in 3D representation. Steps are clear and appear to follow a logical sequence, I will however comment more once I start the build! There are a number of reference photos of Bredas in service in the opening pages as well as a brief history of the vehicle. As with previous Ammo kits there are suggestions on weathering products and techniques at the end as well as colour call outs for 4 schemes (in Ammo numbers of course!). Decals are for 4 different vehicles.
C03F7EBF-A30E-417C-9B35-4BF5641C8EFF.jpeg
C03F7EBF-A30E-417C-9B35-4BF5641C8EFF.jpeg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
I didn’t take pics of all the pages of the manual as it can be viewed at Scalemates.

Should be an easy build, but I don’t think it will be quick. Despite being a small vehicle the parts count is high, clean up will take time (especially for all the PE rim detail parts), and there are lots of small fiddly parts.
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 02:29
How are the paints? I guess the camo scheme is simply the pre-1935 Reichswehr Buntfarbenanstrich?

Philipp
Yup, hard edge pattern, Olivgrün, Sandgelb and a brown. One vehicle has a Grey/green in place of the Olivgrün. I’m going to airbrush the Sandgelb base then brush paint the rest as I can’t be arsed masking it all!
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Off to a good start Adam

I don't have any of the new Pz I's in the stash, so I will see how you take to the Takom version.

The link and length tracks will be a real time saver as I am currently dealing with 180+ individual track links with 3 sprue attachment points each and a tight fit between each link which will need a swipe with a sanding stick too! :evil:

Track madness waits for me this weekend :roll: :lol:

Looks like everything else is already there for a cool SCW scenario

Have fun

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks for the overview :D

That does look like a tasty little kit, I hope it builds as well as it looks :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Started glueing styrene yesterday and did a bit more today. About 5hrs of work gets you to here;
93C473B6-F20B-4F3E-A074-BF424C9B8007.jpeg
93C473B6-F20B-4F3E-A074-BF424C9B8007.jpeg (110.87 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
This is steps 1-7. This took quite some time as the wheels have to be detailed with the PE “rims” front and back. When you are cleaning these up hold them firmly in some PE pliers or the like. Try not to bend them, and if you do, use one of the spares you get. The attachment points to the hubs are small and by keeping the PE flat it will slot in nicely and contact all attachment points. I used Ammo acrylic glue for this and it works well as it gives you time to adjust the fit and also provides a firm bond.

The styrene is quite soft. I was a bit cogniscent of this having built a number of Takom kits. Ammo extra thin is a bit hot so you don’t want to provide to much clamping pressure as the parts deform and extrude out of the joint as melted styrene! For fine parts I used Tamiya standard adhesive as it’s not as hot and allows a bit more time for adjustment.

Fit is precise, but fiddly as there are a lot of small parts. Detail is superb, I just noticed there is incredibly fine wood grain on the jack block that would rival after market resin products.

Back to work tomorrow after two weeks off, this build may slow a bit :D
Completed Campaigns: