Trumpeter 1/35 Hetzer Starr

2021 Prototypes Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/07/21 - to 31/12/21. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Trumpeter 1/35 Hetzer Starr

Post by Philipp Gross »

Hetzer whatnow? :?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/starr wrote:
starr (comparative starrer, superlative am starrsten):

1. rigid
Here's the story....in the last months of WW2 some of the ever inventive German armaments engineers came up with the idea to save on resources and production time by mounting a tank gun in a recoilless mount. Not a recoilless rifle in the modern sense, but rather a standard tank gun mounted to a tank in a manner that simply permitted no recoil. The entire shock was simply absorbed by the entire tank, including the crew. Sounds like fun, right?

This is where the Hetzer comes into play. To try out this slightly deranged idea, BMM modified a standard Hetzer in May 1944. And while they were tinkering with things man was not meant to know, they also put in a Tatra V8 diesel engine. As far as I know, this is said prototype:

A further ten where assembled at Skoda in early 1945, but these retained the Hetzer's standard gasoline engine. Some were used in combat, you can read more about them here.

Ten years ago Trumpeter released an all-new kit of this odd vehicle, and, surprise, that's what I'm building. :lol:

The kit is really quite simple, but then again so was the real thing. Upper and lower hull in one piece, four sprues, two of them identical, as well as workable tracks and a bit of photoetch. I've also thrown in a turned barrel by RB Model:

Last friday I started, and after not really doing much at all, I ended up with this:

(upper hull not yet glued on)

The build so far was enjoyable and free of troubles....I have a feeling this might change as soon as the tracks are involved :D

By th way, the kit comes with a full engine compartment, which is nice, but completely pointless, because you can't build the hatches open and there's not much to see through the various grates. And besides, I'm fairly sure this is the gasoline engine, not the Tatra Diesel:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Trumpeter 1/35 Hetzer Starr

Post by Adam Durrant »

Love the little Hetzers, I've built two so far and have more in the stash! Thanks for the definition of "Starr", my simple brain thought that Starr was another arms company building the Hetzer under license post-war!! ;)

Can't imagine what it would be like to be inside when it fires, suspect whiplash and neck pain would be an occupational hazard!
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Fully agree, the Hetzer is simply a good looking little machine :D I'm eager to build another one, preferably a Swiss G 13. I've since found out they looked a lot like the WW2 version back in the 50s, which makes building one a lot easier :lol:

Whiplash and headaches actually were among the reported issues...along with broken gears and optics. Can't say this should have surprised anyone...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Quick update....only a few minor details left to add...and the tracks of course :? :lol:

I replaced the Rundumfeuer MG34 with a resin MG by TANK. The kit version has lousy details and isn't quite sure if it wants to be a standard or an armoured MG34, while the real tank had the armoured version.

I also decided against using the turned barrel since it would have required major surgery to the gun mantlet. The plastic barrel is fairly decent, so it's not a big loss.

Yes, I suppose some of the engine bay parts are useful :lol: I'm still keeping the wrong engine as a spare for a more useful purpose though.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Quick update....almost there...

Only a few minor bits and pieces left. I remade a few bad details, especially the small tie down loops for a bad weather tarp. The larger brass coloured foilage loops come with the kit, attaching them was something of a challenge.

I'm fairly certain I'll swap the tracks with L&L tracks from another Hetzer kit to save some time, and also because this kit really doesn't need workable tracks, with its rigid suspension and all...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Lookin’ good Philipp, the end is in sight!
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Nice progress on the Starr.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thank you Gentlemen :)
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Yeah, I'm not exactly the fastest these days...

Of course there were things getting in the way I didn't really anticipate. Would be boring to just build OOTB, right? :lol:

Here's where I'm currently at:

As you can see I had to rebuild the side skirts because Trumpeter wants you to just glue them to the side fenders. I've cut the new side plates from 0.2 mm styrene sheet, which was still a lot faster than sanding down the kit parts. There's also the last attachment bracket missing completely, but I can only start to scratchbuild that once I have put the top and bottom halves together....

...which I couldn't do until the tracks are done. Previously I said I'd ditch the kit-supplied 'Modelkasten style' tracks for Academy Link&Lenght tracks to save on time. Ambition got the better of me and I assembled the first track run anyway. Only to notice they don't fit the kit sprockets at all. Did I also mention they are a nightmare to assemble, don't fit the supplied assembly jig, have lots of flash and four attachment points per link to clean up? After a wasted evening I therefore went back to Academy, which look better, fit perfectly and were done in about half an hour total.

Here's the culprit, don't let its harmless appearance fool you :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Lookin' good. Are the drive sprocket and idler from Modelkasten?
Completed Campaigns: