M4A1 FL10 Sherman Revalorisé

2021 Refurbished Vehicles Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/21 - to 31/06/21. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Olivier Carneau
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: M4A1 FL10 Sherman Revalorisé

Post by Olivier Carneau »

Nice job on the turret. I'm pretty sure the 4 rods behind the ventilator dome are not an early feature though.
If you need pictures of the tools brackets feel free to ask.
The chains for the smoke launchers caps should be reversed on the right side. The smoke grenade launchers are the same on both side. They are just fitted upside down. So on the right side the chain is welded to the "top".
You can drill the drain hole in the half moon shaped pickaxe support.
Sorry for nitpicking ;)
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks everyone :D

No worries Olivier, I'm glad to have an expert on board :D If you have photos of the left turret side, that would be extremely helpful! So far I've been using photos of a fairly well preserved early tank at Latrun, but this doesn't cover everything in enough detail.

As for the bolts on the turret roof:

I think these were for mounting a searchlight?

Aaaand I just noticed the cupola hatch has no handle. Here I go sanding again :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olivier Carneau

Great picture. None of the hatches features the handle which is weird. And those rods remain a mystery to me. I haven't seen these on any of the many pictures I have of the early turret.

Here is a picture of the left side. At the bottom you can see a kind of wedge which is a late feature. Don't represent it.

Here is my rendition of it on my Heller model. If I could do it, you can too. ;)

I guess you already know the website chars-francais.net
Olivier

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thank you Olivier, that's extremely useful :D

The wedge was on the kit, I've alreay cut it off ;)

Great work on your build! I faintly remember you building it....

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Update for today, I think I'm done with the turret now:

Here's my interpretation of the tool mounts. No idea if I got them all correct but to me it looks good at the moment :geek:

I've added a few spare German periscopes to the cupola, for some odd reason they fit quite nicely :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

On with the hull. I'm slowly starting to question my decision not to use my Asuka M4A4... :? :lol:

To be fair, very little from Italeri remains besides the basic hull and suspension parts. A well-filled spares box is essential when building Shermans...

My particular tank has a 50/50 mixture of blanked off spoked wheels and a "solid spoked" version from late in WW2. I've used a couple Asuka spares, some of them modified with blanking plates. Naturally I also went nuts with Meng nuts. On the hull side walls I had to remove location markings for E8 support roller mounts. Apparently Italeri just changed their old hull tub when they released their Fury kit a while ago.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Jan Persson

Post by Jan Persson »

Wow, that look like a quit complicated build you got going there, will look great once finished :shock:

Olivier Carneau

Nice job on the suspension!
Olivier

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks everyone! :)

With detail improvements on pretty much everything on the hull the overall pace has been a bit slow...here's a quick progress update:

On the hull hatches the periscopes are moulded shut, so I drilled out the rotating mounts and added spare Dragon parts. Regrettably the entire hatch didn't fit, which would have made things a little easier. I also replaced the lifting eyes with better shaped Dragon parts. The dust cover mount was remade with wire, I'm still working on a method to recreate the little stubs on it :lol: By the way, the cast texture was made with the traditional "glue and brush" method, mostly because I still don't have any fancy Mr Surfacer stuff...

On the rear end I replaced the uncommon circular air filters with square Tamiya parts, also a bit of Eduard etch makes its debut. There's a lot more scratchbuilding to do around here since the French postwar mudguards look a lot different than the (very clunky) kit parts (here's the real deal). Time to put all that sheet styrene I've hoarded to good use :lol: For the air deflector I have a TMD resin part at hand, since it's extremely delicate I'll put it on last.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

That looks great Philipp. Some quick progress there. The extra detail definitely improve the look.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage