Revell 1/72 Heinkel He 70 F-2

Build a kit for 5£ or less. All subjects, all scales. Campaign runs from 08/06/20 - to 08/09/20. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Revell 1/72 Heinkel He 70 F-2

Post by Philipp Gross »

And here we go, my first aircraft build in 20+ years...

The Heinkel He 70 first flew in December 1932. A groundbreaking design for its time, with a top speed of 362 kph, it was for a while the fastest passenger aircraft in the world, as well as the first with a retractable landing gear. Its design would be influential for a number of other Heinkel aircraft, most notably the He 111. After a short career with Lufthansa as an express airliner and mail aircraft it was taken over by the Luftwaffe, which used it for a number of roles during the Spanish Civil War and later WW2.

Found this thing yesterday on a visit to the nearest hobby shop, on sale for €5.50, which equates to £4.90:

The kit is a reboxing of a new tooling by ICM from 2008. There are 82 parts on two grey and one clear sprue, with the former chopped in half to fit the small box:

Revell provides only one decal option, as usual there are no swastikas. Not sure yet if I'll bother with that problem:

I must admit I'm a bit scared, this is obviously very different to an armour kit. And my last airplane was glued together in a few hours and then given a messy brush paintjob :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Revell 1/72 Heinkel He 70 F-2

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Totally stunned Philipp

You have a hobby shop :shock:

Its actually open :shock:

It would be considered none essential in the UK and would be locked down :roll:

OWN THE FEAR!, it will OK!

And enjoy the change of pace, with 82 parts, its a complex kit for 1/72

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

To clarify, the hobby shop in question is in downtown Frankfurt, about 40 minutes by train from here. They also make 99% of their revenue with household goods, toys and model trains, so it's not really a hobby shop in the traditional sense. But they are the only ones left and still have a fairly large selection of Tamiya and Revell kits.

Pretty much all businesses have reopened around here, but they need to control the amount of people inside by various means. Usually they require you to use a shopping cart or basket, which are of course limited in numbers depending on overall size of the shop. On top of that are mandatory face masks and liberal application of hand disinfectant upon entering. So far it seems to work...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Jan Persson

Post by Jan Persson »

That's a really cool airplane - will follow 8-)

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Funny looking plane, but should be a nice clean build. Revell can be a bit hit and miss, some kits are great, then others are a bit average.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks everyone! :)

As I've said, it's a fairly new ICM kit, so it shouldn't be too horrible :lol:

However I won't get to start on this until next week, I'm off to a small vacation to the Harz mountains tomorrow :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Another aircraft. We are all going mad with the COVID 19 pandemic. :D

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Ohhhh! It's a Revell level FOUR of only five! :shock: :o
That will be tough! :o

Okay, we all know that it means nothing because Revell believes even an ICM 35th staff car to be level 5 by it's ... err.. probably scale? :lol:
What would a Tristar IV be in Revell terminology? "Out of range"? :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this, simply because it looks quite weird... like a militarized version of a civilian vaguely 111-ish... thing... just vaguely "wrong" :lol: .
Eldritch plane! :lol:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Raoul Kunz wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 20:52 Ohhhh! It's a Revell level FOUR of only five! :shock: :o
That will be tough! :o
Raoul G. Kunz
If you watch model minutes on You Tube, he describes the Revell system as totally random!

It could be that there are loads of decals, which ""add"" to the parts count ans increase he build factor up!!

He builds mostly 1/72 and they are all brush painted, quite inspiring if you need some giddy up with the little wingy thing

Have fun after your get back from holiday

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks again everyone for dropping by!

Had a nice litte break, including a 10km hike down the Brocken followed by a very much relevant museum visit the next day.

And yes, the Revell level system is completely idiotic, along with a lot of other things these folks do.

Anyhow, I started on this thing about two hours ago.

The overall layout is a bit unorthodox, but provides good stability for wing assembly. I remember from back in the day how difficult it often was to get the wings attached at the proper angle.

To get the military version you need to cut a few holes. Suffice to say the folks at Revell didn't understand it so I had to look up the ICM instructions.

Of course you follow the contours on the inside, not the outside.

And here's where we are right now. I'll get the inside sprayed olive green before everything goes together. Supposedly the side windows attach from the outside, we'll see how well that goes.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: