Warhammer 40K Adeptus Titanicus Warlord Battle Titan

2020 Science Fiction and Fantasy Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/20 - to 31/12/20. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Warhammer 40K Adeptus Titanicus Warlord Battle Titan

Post by Adam Durrant »

....with Plasma Annihilator and Power Claw! :o

Really enjoying building the walkers and tanks of Warhammer 40,000 currently. It's a nice break from building armour!

The Titans were meant to be massive walkers piloted by members of nobel families (from their "command thrones"). They were often supported by scout walkers piloted by lesser nobels that scouted the battlefield and launched surgical strikes ahead of the towering Titans. So powerful are the Titans, with their thick armour and shield generators, they wear brightly coloured house livery rather than camouflage.

Citadel produce a number of Titan kits, this is the version with the power claw and plasma cannon. The kit comes in a stout box with a further pull out tray inside which protects the parts well. You get three sprues, an instruction booklet with games rules/stats for the Titan, a nicely printed sheet of "titan" decals and a display base.

The kit is moulded in light grey plastic. The sprue gates are quite large, and the plastic is reasonably soft, which demands that great care is taken when cutting parts off the sprue, as it is easy to cut into, or pull plastic off, the part. There are a couple of options for the shoulder pauldrons, and also options for the main armament. I am thinking of magnetising the arms so I can have options, there are a number of online tutorials on how to do this and Citadel conveniently leaves indents at the joins for 5x1mm magnets.

The three sprues are dominated by the amour panels, both sides need to be painted, and I'm going to follow the advice of most online reviews and paint them on the sprue and assemble them all on the model at the end.

So, on with gluing plastic!! :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Warhammer 40K Adeptus Titanicus Warlord Battle Titan

Post by Philipp Gross »

That is one humongous beast :twisted:

Oh, and these are the smaller ones in the 40k universe. The largest you could probably wear as a costume :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

A couple of evenings gluing plastic in front of the telly gets me here;

The legs, waist and body are mostly done. Still need to work on the armament and upper limbs. Progress is slow, there is no flash to deal with but the sprue gates are HUGE and need careful work to remove without damaging the part. Fit is flawless, parts almost snap into place and Ammo of Mig thin glue has been all that's needed.

Have decided not to magnetise the arms, the only advantage would be to snap the arms on and off, but the limbs aren't really articulated, once you select a position for them you really need to glue it down.
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Adam

I just looked this kit up and saw it has a $110.00 price tag on it. Is that really how much these cost. :o

No matter what the cost was I will be following your build. Your off to a nice start.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Hey Shawn,

Yup, Citadel stuff is pricey compared to the average 1/35 scale tank kit. I got this for $NZ95 in a sale, the box was a bit crushed but the kit is unaffected. I won’t be getting any more, this guy and the Predator tank build should get it out of my system!

I will, however, be buying more Citadel paints. They are superb for brush painting and are no more expensive than their competitors.

If you want expensive Warhammer kits check out “Forge Worlds” offerings in Resin. You can spend £1000+ on some of them🥺
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

The skeleton has been completed and given a spray of Leadbelcher. I've bought a few of the Citadel "Air" range. They spray really well directly out of the pot, no thinning needed.

Not shown is the two sprues of armour panels, back surface sprayed with leadbelcher and front surface with Mechanicus Grey.

Since this pic I have given the whole lot a couple of coats of Nuln Oil, this "shade" (wash in our language) paint gives a very nice aged metal appearance. After that its Balthezar Gold and Warplock Bronze detail painting and then a wash with Agrax Earthshade. A dry brush with Necron Compound and the skeleton will be done...you may have guessed I love the names they give their paints. Beats German Field Grey!! :D
Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Looking good.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Soooo...just how big is this thing going to be? :shock:

I fully agree on the Citadel paints, the stuff is excellent 8-)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

All of the above steps, plus some Abbadon Black detailing done :D

I'm really impressed with the "depth" the acrylic washes give. The burnished nature of the skeleton looks a lot like the effect I could never achieve on exhaust nozzles of jets when I used to build model planes.

I now have to paint all the armour panels a combination of Mechanicus Standard Grey and Averland Sunset, then detail with Retributor Armour. There are a lot of panels and the online tutorial I am following suggests a logical approach of painting them in "layers" and then applying them as each set is completed.
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 22:24 Soooo...just how big is this thing going to be? :shock:

I fully agree on the Citadel paints, the stuff is excellent 8-)

Philipp
He's about 5cm taller then the Dreadnought I built but way more detailed. Not sure what scale he is, most of the Warhammer stuff appears to be about 1/35, but in that scale he would be about 6ft tall! :D
Completed Campaigns: