Warhammer 40K Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought

2020 Science Fiction and Fantasy Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/20 - to 31/12/20. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Warhammer 40K Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought

Post by Adam Durrant »

So, had already bought one Warhammer kit but couldn't help myself when I saw this on sale;

Got it home to find it is an "Easy to Build" kit so only 13 parts;

I will build this as part of the GB, but will also build my original Warhammer kit, the Space Marine Predator.

I have also decided to use Citadel paints, lots online about how good they are as brush paints for detail work so I may as well start collecting a few. Found a good YouTube tutorial on painting this kit so will start with those paints.

Any tips from those of you who have built these kits in the past would be much appreciated!

Also any tips on Warhammer 40,000, have done some internet reading but looks like you need to be a true believer to really understand the mythology :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Warhammer 40K Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought

Post by Philipp Gross »

This will be interesting :D

Regarding the background, the Dreadnought is a cybernetic combat vehicle for a mortally wounded Space Marine, who already is a cybernetically enhanced super soldier. The pilot is permanently connected to the life support system inside and when not in combat is usually kept in stasis. By virtue of being several thousand years old, they also work part-time as archivists and storytellers :lol:

A good start into the setting would be the Dawn of War video games (click for intro video with a Dreadnought in action), if you're into that sort of thing. The in-game voice acting is hilarious :lol:

As for Citadel paints, I've used them for figure painting, they are really nice to use. They react well to water or alcohol-based thinners.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

I have literally no idea about Warhammer so I can't add anything useful, but the kit certainly looks interesting Adam.
How big is the figure?

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

He stands two Tamiya glue bottles high, or about twice the height of a 1/35th figure. ;)

Well, 13 parts didn't take too long to assemble (about 2hrs, most of it cleaning up the enormous sprue gates, think Takom kits :D ). I've added some impact marks on the armour plates using a drill and some Tamiya grey putty. There are some pretty enormous join lines (like on his gattling cannon thing) and some big mould lines so will sit on the deck this evening and clean them up. Glad I got a second kit for this GB, this one is nicely detailed, but pretty much a beginner kit.

I also drilled out the exhaust/chimney's on his back as these are moulded solid. When I get back from our holiday home I'll drill out the muzzle of the flamer as well (will need my micro drills).

I have an aerosol can of Citadel Macragge Blue primer so even laying down a base coat should be easy!

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Flying start, again, Adam

Well done, looks like the paint and weathering are going to be a real blast.

It looks like it will really be fun to use for paint effects

Have a good break

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Steve Hutchinson wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 07:25 Flying start, again, Adam

Well done, looks like the paint and weathering are going to be a real blast.

It looks like it will really be fun to use for paint effects

Have a good break

Regards

Steve H
I pretty much using this one as a test bed for Citadel products. They use a lot of acrylic washes and filters and I have no experience with these having favoured enamels or oils.
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

After a few hours of filling, sanding and then repeat I managed to get the base coat/primer on last night out of a rattle can. "Macragge Blue" is the base, and personally is a very pleasing shade of blue! It has a semigloss finish so once dry I applied the decals this morning. They are some of the nicest decals I have used in a while, up there with some of the high end kit manufacturers. There is very little carrier film, they are all in register and once dry and treated with a bit of MarkSet they blend in beautifully.

The tutorial for using Citadel paints make use of dry brushing, and for the sum of $3 I bought one of the Citadel "dry brush" brushes with the paints. My initial go using "Chronus Blue" can be seen in the pics. Citadel manufactures a range of "dryer" dry brush paints that seem to work pretty well. BTW, I'm loving the paint names. Not as boring as "German Field Grey" or "Rubber Black", my next two colours will be "Leadbelcher" (Silver) and "Nuln Oil" (Kind've a black filter) :D
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Morning on day 2 Adam

Nearly finished, already!

Wow, I'm still waiting for E-bay to deliver one 1/2 of my Sc-Fi GB!

Looks good though, even if its been a light speed build

Done by Saturday?

Regards

Steve H

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Got all of the "Leadbelcher" on and then shaded/filtered it with a couple of coats of "Nuln Oil".

Despite the funny names, the Citadel paints are very easy to use, very brush friendly and dry very, very, fast :D None of the usual waiting 24hrs between enamel filters or days between oil applications.

In saying that I do intend to use some enamel and oil weathering products on this one when I get back home.

Considering I'm sitting inside on a very wet summers day with none of the usual distractions as we are out our beach house ("Bach" here in NZ), I will have tons of time to;

1/ Paint

2/ Order more kits online!

Adam
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Morning Adam

Great progress, I am no expert but doesn't the winged skull on the chest need to be highlighted too?

All the War Hammer You Tube painting videos I have watched, have it in multiple colours, depending on the unit.

Blood Angels, Space Marines etc

I always watch Squidmar and Miniac, as they are both great painters and do entertaining videos too.

Enjoy the break and retail therapy

Regards

Steve H

Completed Campaigns: