Mars Pattern Baneblade

2020 Science Fiction and Fantasy Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/20 - to 31/12/20. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Mars Pattern Baneblade

Post by Adam Durrant »

Camo looks great Raoul, these sci-fi kits really let the imagination run free! ;)
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Must...resist...urge...to....buy....one....... aaarrgh :lol:

Emperor help me, Iove this thing!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

All right, I actually managed to do something once the pain dulled sufficiently - yay! :roll: :? :lol:

I started on the guardsmen to accompany the Baneblade.

I'm using the Cadians for the simple reason that they are available in plastic and not insanely expensive... just a bit... oh and the other ones available in plastic are Catachans... yeah.. no.. :lol:

I am painting them in a vaguely horizon blue reminiscent (once proper dirtied) of French 1915+ uniforms.
Oh and I changed the blocky super-deformed ka-bar bayonets to M1892 sword bayonets used on the Berthier rifle during the World War.

And with the extensive drybrushing of the stage one ageing process. ;) On such comically proportioned figures that is, not a fan of extensive drybrushing on proper figures.

And of course the way cooler cavalry I got for only half my soul in silver... damn it Forge World is expensive... :roll:
Anyhow they are impressively detailed though and proportioned more like proper figures.. actually I'm tankful for the gas masks because I think without they would seem out of place with the other more comical heroic 28s otherwise.

"Death Riders of Krieg"... like everything in 40k the name is oh so very Metal...Image :lol:

Lookwise they seem to be a mixture of French 1914 heavy cavalry, German late war cavalry and French late war in equal parts, they even have the Adrian helmet! :lol: =>

I'll have them with the staff as couriers. Maybe along with a Sentinel for rougher terrain, just for the schizo-tech fun-factor ;) .

Mind you the lance isn't as anachronistic as it would appear to our modern eyes - as late as ~1907 almost all the cavalry formations of the great Powers started using the lance (the idea was that the greater impact would kill instead of wounding the target which in an age of repeating rifles might be a matter of life or death and greater reach allowed getting at prone troopers... never mind the machine guns, field fortifications or trenches...), independent of being lancers (uhlans for the German Empire) by designation. So everyone was a lancer at the outbreak of war, even if the nation had never deployed any such type of cavalry :roll: .

"Give me a gun, a google-eyed alien to shoot it at, and I’ll die a happy man."

Raoul G. Kunz
Last edited by Raoul Kunz on 13 May 2020, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

More progress! Yay and stuff... I'm probably a bit high on pain meds :lol: .

Anyway - here's some minor painting things on the Cadians - right now looks slightly crappy honestly but will look better once there's some washings... I think :lol: ...

And then there's another very metal-dystopian-Franco-German... with a completely death-metal standard... with lots of skulls! :lol:

"We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Different but very interesting.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Shawn, as evident the build is currently not busy with exactly the most interesting fields (to me that is), but there will be more mechanical stuff soon ;) .

Here's some progress on the figures... =>

And, as promised farther up: more mecha! :lol: =>
(This thing is small - really not even AT-ST level, more like a motorbike on legs, so I'll put it with the staffers and the dispatch riders... ;) )

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Okay.. never again GW washes ("shades"probably for me to throw some shades on them :lol: ) for the whole figures, they look crappy... it's a wash in acrylics so I should have expected this... everyone else will get oils. :roll:

They do suffice well enough for equipment, of which I put much more on the figure than the tabletop thinks appropriate... it comes with a water bottle, a bayonet frog and a magazine as well as a mills bomb... pardon me a "hand-grenade" ( :lol: ) with another magazine or another grenade.

Not much equipment and no entrenching tools, which makes sense game wise I suppose but not in universe lore wise for an army that fights primarily from entrenched positions...

So I added two stick grenades, a spade, a knapsack, a canteen and a pioneer axe... also changed the bayonet frog of course... still requires a repainting, the acrylic washes are extremely meh. :| :oops: ;)

Still okay...

And now everything goes bleh... =>

Well, I suppose I'll shelf the figures for a frustrated week or something and build and finish the Sentinel... or maybe do the uhlans, those are resin and I`ll age them with oils... :roll:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Wow, this is quite an epic project. Love the paint work on the tank and figures so far.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

(late) Thanks Bryan!

I haven't been doing much because work currently takes quite a toll on me... or more precisely the commuting under current circumstances... bleh... even end times-empty trains are annoying when wearing gas masks :lol: ... okayokaay, not that horrible... still.. :lol:

Anyway, I've actually managed some minor progress... good that it's a build for the year :lol: .

So here's my gaggle of guardsmen going over the top, complete with a ton more kit than GW thinks is needed, more grenades, bread-bags, ammo pouches, backpacks, spades... or put differently: all a soldier needs in a Great War like setting to pitifully drown in a muddy shell hole :o ;) .
Also changed to ageing them normally with oils after the failure of GW's own acrylic washes... the one bloke with the acrylic stuff is easily seen by it's crappyness... :lol:
=>

Next up is the staffers, heavy weapons teams, a pair of uhlans acting as despatch riders, a commissar as well as two armoured Sentinels attached to the staff... oh and continuing work on the Baneblade itself :lol: .

Also no decals - the GW ones are horrible, they are annoyingly stiff when used with water and instant-dissolve into crumbly tatters once confronted with decals softener... the despoiler take them!

By your deaths shall they know you!

Raoul G. Kunz

Written while listening to Sabaton - Great War. ;)

Steve - I've read the message, will write a response over the week including a trip to IKEA under circumstances of horrible heat and current level of protection... boy was that "fun",,,

Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Emperor have mercy, I have failed!
Distracted by Xenos, Heretics and the omnipresent powers of Chaos as well as matters of pestilence I failed to complete the Emperors Wrath made manifest and now have to seek repentance - therefore I started with the two Sentinels I intend to accompany it.

I will build both in the fully armoured version because a) it looks better and less silly and b) it's a simpler re-entry into the hobby.

Of course I had to modify things - I replaced the auto-cannon with the barrel of a 75 mm obice da 75/18 mod. 34 originally intended for a Semovente 75/18 which I suppose could still be an oversized auto-cannon, especially with the huge rounds in the ammunition drum.

I had to drill out a lot of the holes only hinted at in the exhausts, optics and whatnot.

Oh and an AT rocket, though this will probably be subject to replacement as well.
And of course I changed the blocky, "periscope-like-looking" antennas with a German 2m aerial as well as, in the "Star Wars tradition" of using WW2 era stuff for vastly different purposes, a MG-34 barrel turned upside-down and sans it's perforated barrel shroud.

Bushmills "Blackbush" Irish whiskey, features a lot of Sherry aromas from being aged in Sherry caskets - tasty! :D

A fine mind is a blessing of the Emperor - It should not be cluttered with trivialities.

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns: