M19A1 Twin 40mm Gun Carriage

2020 Anti Aircraft Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/20 - to 31/12/20. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: M19A1 Twin 40mm Gun Carriage

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

That is a seriously detailed set of running gear Adam

Brings back memories of the MiniArt Pz III B, which also has self snapping axles too!

Looks like you will be busy for a few days!

Nice progress though

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

For a change of pace I started building the twin Bofors mount today. Again, lotsa parts to make one small subassembly.

Thought I would post some stuff here for those they may come after me. Sorry about the quality of the pics, all I have is my cell camera, the digital SLR is down and unlikely to be fixed during COVID-19 lockdown.

Step 22

Part D43 looks like it should be glued to the top of D29. It should go on the bottom so that top and bottom are mirror images.

From the instructions it looks like part D57 should be passed through part D75 and the fixed to the bottom of D60. Looking at reference pics, and also fiddling with the parts, I think that part D75 should be glued to the bottom of D60, part D57 should then be passed through the eyelet/lug on the bottom of D58, then through D75 then glue D47 to it. This allows the two cylinders (part of the elevating mechanism) to sit central.

Don't cut the lugs off D29, they don't get in the way when the gun is elevated.

Parts D3 and D4, the sides of the gun mount, can have all of the detail added. Don't attach them to the guns, they press fit into the gun tub so can be left off to paint. Once painted they can be glued into the gun tub, and while the glue is wet, slide the guns in.

Its building a nice kit, but damn 41 steps like this are gunna be tough :?
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Adam

I thought Dragon instructions were bad, but come on Bronco. I'm just glad you had some reference materials to help sort it all out.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Seriously, after this kit I’m going to throw together a Tamiya or Meng kit OOB just to help my sanity!! :shock:
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Adam Durrant wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 08:09 Seriously, after this kit I’m going to throw together a Tamiya or Meng kit OOB just to help my sanity!! :shock:
Adam- I can appreciate that. I have not built a Meng Kit or Takom, or Ryefield model yet. Hell I don't even own one. What is wrong with me. :roll: I need to get online and take care of this immediately. :D

When I started building about 11 years ago Dragon kits were the best out there as far as detail. As you saw from my stash I have mstly Dragon with a few Tamyia and Bronco models.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Olivier Carneau

Post by Olivier Carneau »

This kit looks like a patience test :o
I'm sure you will successfully pass it. ;)
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

With the lockdown I've been making pretty good progress. For the fact that the instructions are vague and the subassemblies made up of way too many parts, the fit is immaculate, the kit almost snaps together. There is only one place so far where I might have to use some filler.

At the moment most parts are just held with blue tac, its going to be easier to paint this one in subassemblies.

The gun tub is very detailed, unfortunately a lot of it will be lost in the depths, especially when the gun mount is finally in place. There is a single pin that inserts from inside the hull that allows the tub to rotate. The instructions say not to glue it in place, and reviews on line suggest you can't not glue it in place as it just falls inside the hull. The pin "head" is recessed, so I just glued a bit of styrene over the recess it sits in. Now it's trapped but can spin.

There is a pretty comprehensive little fret of PE, for the headlight brush guards they also provide a form to bending, they also provide plastic alternatives if you don't like working with PE. The highlight, however, is the pair of spider sights. Sorry pics not clearer.

Hopefully will have a lot of the build completed by the end of this week, my COVID emergency roster has me on for Monday then off for 9 days :shock:, I do then get to spend the following 5 on.
Completed Campaigns:

Olivier Carneau

Nice progress so far. The PE sights are excellent.
Is the gun tub the same as on the M42?

Take care!
Olivier

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Olivier Carneau wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 17:41 Nice progress so far. The PE sights are excellent.
Is the gun tub the same as on the M42?

Take care!
The M41 chassis had a larger turret ring than the M24 Chaffee so despite the same guns being used, and a similar layout, it’s a different tub for the M42 Duster. Supposedly the twin 40mm Bofors mount, with a fire rate of 120rpm per gun was devastating against human wave attacks, both in Korea and Vietnam.
Completed Campaigns:

Olivier Carneau

Thanks for the explanation Adam.
Olivier

Completed Campaigns: