Takom AML-90 (Falklands War)

2019 Forgotten Conflicts Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/19 - to 31/12/19. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Takom AML-90 (Falklands War)

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Lovely work Adam

Now I have another laptop and can see what you have done weathering wise.

Super chipping, just enough for a derelict from the Falkland wars.

Base next? Figure?

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Olivier- Thanks, they seem to be present on most of the Argie AMLs so I’ll weather it appropriately.

Steve - Thinking of a small base. I have an old Verlinden resin “cobbled road” section and was going to use a piece of that. The other option was a tarsealed road, I’ve been blocking out a few ideas in a small photo frame. Not sure about a figure, the Argentine forces appeared to wear OD fatigues and US helmets apart from the Marines who had some form of MERDC pattern jacket. I could adapt a US Cold War era figure with an Fn FAL but it might fall in the too hard basket!
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olivier Carneau

Post by Olivier Carneau »

Adam
I don't why Takom decided to depict the helmet molded solid. It could easily have been a separate part. I had a discussion with their team during the design process about adding some PE parts like the straps of the helmet holder and they answered: no PE parts to cut the costs.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Olivier Carneau wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 15:47 Adam
I don't why Takom decided to depict the helmet molded solid. It could easily have been a separate part. I had a discussion with their team during the design process about adding some PE parts like the straps of the helmet holder and they answered: no PE parts to cut the costs.
Which is really sad on their behalf as the kit isn’t exactly expensive! They could have given us a small PE fret with a few of the fine details and the large sand channels on it, I can’t see that adding more than a few dollars :shock:
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Finished the AML-90,

Used Bare Metal Foil for the wing mirrors, have never used it before but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to work with.

Just a few minor things to do once it is on its base to "integrate" it a bit into the landscape. I tried adding a few clumps of tussock as a camoflage but it just ended up looking like exactly what it was, clumps of hobby grass dumped on the nose of the vehicle :(

Base under construction;

Small picture frame from the local picture framers, road of AK Diorama "Asphalt" product on an elevated base of balsa. More AK Diorama "Muddy Ground". Unashamedly I am following the AK online tutorial almost to the letter. Still a way to go but letting it all thoroughly cure before adding a few more scenic details, washes, road markings etc.
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Looks great Adam. No need to apologize, that's what tutorials are for. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Base pretty much done;

Enamel and oil washes to "deepen" the contrast and then Ammo pigments "City Dirt", "Asphalt" and "European Dirt" dusted over the top. A few oil stains and a bit of litter and grass. Newspaper came from the DioPark stuff I bought a while back.

I'll attach the AML-90 at some stage and blend it into the base and I am done!
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Very Nice Adam

I shall have to check out the AK tarmac products, as I have a road in the Yemen GB

Well done too, 1st one done before an Icon has been launched

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks Steve.

The AK Diorama products have served me well so far. The Asphalt one has a nice texture and a good base colour. It did crack a bit as it set, but that was advantageous. :)
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

...and I am done;

I have finally discovered how to white balance my camera manually, so should have some Gallery pics to Phil soon.

Summary:
Takom AML-90 kit - nice, easy to assemble, soft plastic, big gates. Butt joints mean you have to be careful everything is well aligned before you let it set up or else the next step is stuffed.
DevDesign Wheels - Beautiful, what else is there to say?
AK Diorama products - Again, work as advertised.

Nice quick build to start the year. Now on to the Tiran 5 that is more aftermarket parts than original kit.... :(
Completed Campaigns: