Takom AML-90 (Falklands War)

2019 Forgotten Conflicts Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/19 - to 31/12/19. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Takom AML-90 (Falklands War)

Post by Adam Durrant »

Bought this little kit last year as a bit of a "postage filler" as it was on sale. These were used by the Argentine forces in the Falklands war along with American made LVTP-7s. They are cheap, and with the low velocity 90mm gun, reportedly could take on older generation tanks. They saw armoured warfare on one occasion versus UK Scorpions, but it was a bit of an impotent fight with both sides withdrawing without scoring any hits. There are a few lying abandoned around the Falklands, and two made it back to Bovington where one is on display.

I was going to go straight OOB, but reviews point out the supplied wheels and tyres are the wrong size and pattern. I also like using aftermarket resin wheels with the "sag" effect so my only deviation to the OOB plan is to use these;

They also have the advantage they come with a pre-cut mask, both "inner" and "outer" to suit those that paint the tyres then the hub, or those going the other way round. Only one mask is provided for each wheel, they will restick for the back surface, but it won't be seen anyway and clean up can be achieved with a small amount of brush work.

The kit itself is in the usual Takom "soft" styrene that cracks easily if your sprue cutters aren't sharp, and also has the usual large sprue gates that Takom favours. Despite that the details appear crisp, there are only very subtile mould lines and almost no flash I can see. There are pieces provided for two variants, the major difference being in the turret and engine air intakes. Colour profiles are provided for 5 vehicles, IDF, Argentine, French etc with the colour call outs and profile pics done in collaboration with Ammo of Mig. This is where it looks tricky, to decide which of the two variants to build you have to study these small colour profiles carefully then match it to the instruction steps, there is no clear call out that you have chosen to build variant 1 or 2. Luckily the differences are minor with the most visible being the turret stowage options.

A minor point on colour. Mig calls out quite dark earth and green colours for the Argentine variant. The box art depicts this version but with much lighter colours. Pics of the vehicles in the Falklands show a number of colour variations and the one on display at Bovington yet another colour scheme. This provides me with no clear guidance, but also opens the door to some artistic licence :D

I want this to be a fast, uncomplicated build. Everything I did last year was either fiddly, had a "full interior", aftermarket PE and parts, or all of the above :?

I'm home alone today on call, family is away, so am writing this whilst taking a building break. Have managed to get to here so far;

The hull is broken down into a large number of flat panels assembled on a one piece tub. They are all butt joints so you have to be careful to line everything up. I used a slow setting cement so I have a bit of "play" and it was also advisable to cut out and clean up everything first then do a bit of dry fitting. Overall the fit to far has been spot on, only very minor sanding required for a tight fit.

More to follow...
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Re: Takom AML-90 (Falklands War)

Post by Vincent Power »

You have got quite a bit done Adam. :) I like the look of the weighted tyres too.

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Solid start and a 2 day building window too, nice one Adam

Its a New Year, new GB, and time to get sorted out.

You are first off, lets see who else will make a start over the next few days.

Are you doing the GB's one after the other or side by side?

I am thing of doing the later, to help with avoid burn out on one build at a time.

I am also doing a "Toon" build and possibly?

Great start, love the resin tyres too

regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olivier Carneau

Post by Olivier Carneau »

Nice start for this tiny model.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Managed to get to here...

I've cleaned up the DefModel wheels. This took all of about 5 mins as they just needed trimmed off their casting blocks and a bit of flash cleared out of the hub on the spare.

The steering is movable if you can be bothered doing the work. The new wheels make this a bit difficult to do so I've fixed it in a slight turn to the right.
Steve Hutchinson wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 10:57
Are you doing the GB's one after the other or side by side?
Thinking I'll try and do one at a time Steve. That lasted about a month last year, and I am itching to get going on a bigger build, so that resolve may not last.

Adam
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Very interesting project Adam! Looks like you're off to a good start :D

I've just read about encounters of AML-90s with T-34/85s in Angola. Would have tempted me, but sadly my T-34 kit is strictly a WW2 model :roll:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Great start Adam

The penny didn't drop about the size until Olivier mentioned it!

it is small!

Philipp, the T 34's in Africa seem to have mix and match wheels with up to star fish but the remainder seem to be very WWII vintage, from my limited research, so far.

Another day of building Adam?

Must be quiet at work!

Have a good day

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Another day of building. Quite nice when I have the house to myself. Called back to work for a while but nothing major.

All done on the basic build;

There is a little bit of clean up to do and one seam at the back needs filled. I'll give it all a wash in dish soap tomorrow then a bit of a pause in the build as I head off on holiday for a few days. :D
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Steve Hutchinson wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 08:13 Philipp, the T 34's in Africa seem to have mix and match wheels with up to star fish but the remainder seem to be very WWII vintage, from my limited research, so far.
Sadly the Zvezda kit I've got only comes with parts for a fairly early model which became extremely rare after 1945. I'll get another kit some day :lol:

Good to see you're almost done Adam! Enjoy your holiday! :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Well that was a quick build Adam. I guess you can spend all the time painting this.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage