Steyr Flak 38

2019 Desert Warfare Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/19 - to 31/12/19. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Shawn Ramsey
Senior Site Contributor.....

Steyr Flak 38

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Well guys I am determined to someday finish a build, but the CMP has had me at whits end since the beginning. The only thing about that build that I am happy with is the base, so I need a different model to go with it.

So, I will be building the Tamyia Steyr with the Leadwarrior conversion. I have had this in my stash for several years, ever since my long lost brother in Armour modelling Rob Matthews built a similar one.

Here are the bits and pieces that I will be using. Lots of PE pieces here but I will honesty only be using a small portion of it. I'm going to try to only use things that will make a significant difference!!!! Don't hold anything against me if this statement does not hold true in the end. :lol:

Here is a very helpful review with the suggestiond to improve the rear wheels. https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/ ... 35029.html

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Steyr Flak 38

Post by Philipp Gross »

Always good to have a backup plan :D Now let's hope this one behaves better :lol:

Though it would be a shame to let the CMP go to waste after all the effort you have put into it? :?

Last thing I heard from Rob was that he's cycling around Britain in a colourful aerodynamic getup. I hope he remembers us some day :roll: I have the photos of his build saved, I think I should put them online already.... :oops:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Philipp

Your right and hopefully some day I will finish it. Its just been one problem after another with the built. I dropped the Flak 30 the other day and several pieces fell off. Nothing that cant be fixed, but one of the pieces has fallen off several times. Then I lost one of the doors. I just need to move on and put it down for awhile.

This on the other hand has been a joy so far. I have not built a Tamyia kit in a long time. :roll:

Step 1 frame

Step 2 frame continued

Some straight forward Lead Warrior parts. Extra leaf springs for the additional weight. Still need to ad some filler.

About one hour worth of work here so far. :D

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice start! :D

If everything else fails you can turn the CMP into a wreck :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Philipp Gross wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 10:49 Nice start! :D

Philipp
Wreck? Did someone mention a wreck? What a great idea ;) :D

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Vincent Power wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 23:54
Philipp Gross wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 10:49 Nice start! :D

Philipp
Wreck? Did someone mention a wreck? What a great idea ;) :D

Vincent
Not a bad idea at all. Then I wont have to fix the Flak 30 for the 10th time. :lol:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

This is how Terry on Perh Military suggested improving on the rear wheels. If you do not do this then the wheels will touch each other leaving no space between them.

Here is the end result with just a little effort including a spacer with .5mm plastic card.

Lots of other progress made.

THe resin pieces fit very well here, replacing the cab floor and PE here makes a huge improvement IMHO.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

That's very nice Shawn. The PE makes a big difference in the cab. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

The story of my life is I loose motivation on a regular basis. I have actually made quite a bit of progress, but I have not spent much time on the web.

First the Flak 38 with a barrel from Alliance model works and PE from Griffion Model.

Soldering is one of my many nemesis. :evil:

Image.

I have finally decided on the figures that I will be using. :D 8-) Its been two years since I painted a figure so we will see how this goes. :o

These guys from Alpine

The two on the left are these guys. I made a sling for the MP 40 on the first figure. The second figures head was replaced with a Hornet one, and I used a Dragon Canteen and rifle. The third is also from Alpine, fourth is from Tamiya and the final figure is from Masterbox with a hornet head and the hands are from Royal model which are simply stunning.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Lets show you the progress for the base. Again this base was going to be used for the CMP Flak but that had to be put up for awhile.

Inspiration for the base came from Peter Cottingham who did an amazing diorama that you can see at this link. My approach was completely different by using Woodland Scenic molds, but I have to give overall credit to Peter.

http://makingscalemodels.blogspot.com/2 ... ma-by.html

I palm tress are from Joefix who sells some really great diorama materials. The resin trunks are nicely sculpted. The leaves are made from paper so we will see how they turn out in the end.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage