Lebanese Tiran 5

2019 Desert Warfare Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/19 - to 31/12/19. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Lebanese Tiran 5

Post by Adam Durrant »

I had a look at the MiniArt Tiran and it moulds the sponsons as one part with the hull, my Tiran book is unclear, but they also appear to be one part on some of the burn't out wrecks. On the basis of this I've done a filler job and sanded them flush, even though most of it will be covered by the turret.

Got a bit done on the weekend, more soldering;

The front glacis plate is all done, left off the tow hooks as I will need to put the tow rope eye under one before final assembly. You can see where I had a super glue spill, luckily I will be adding some texture to the area so should be well hidden.

I've made some progress on the left fender and, now that the two halves of the hull are glued together, the rear of the hull as well.

Next big job will be the tracks...
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Was the Glacis plate on the T-55/62 a part that had a "cast/rolled" texture to it? Can't make it out in any of my references but Mig Jimenez has added a cast texture to the one he built in his "Encyclopedia" series. :?
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Looks fairly smooth to me.

(warning, big picture)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

All the T-54s & T-55s over at primeportal look pretty smooth too. However, that second T-62 does appear to be rougher.

http://www.primeportal.net/the_battlefield_armor.htm

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/till_sunderman/t-62/
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

I wonder if the "roughness" on the T-62 might be dirt and cracking paint. I have two issues with my glacis

1/ my superglue spill
2/ The raised base for the Tamiya provided license plate decal

The super glue I might have to carefully sand, the raised license plate sits right above the lower weld seam and I will have to remove both. Lebanese vehicles used painted on license plates so looks like this weekend will be spent sanding.... :(
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

...and similar to Marks post on things that go "Plink", I note looking at the pics above that the wee plate that covers the "T" intersection between the wiring conduits has disappeared :o

Luckily I got one in both of the Legend sets I bought, so if I can't find it I have a spare ;)
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Managed to complete the rear stowage and the rack for, what I assume to be, the barrel cleaning rod. There is also a large crowbar thingee attached behind the engine grills, not sure what that's for.

The left fender is also complete, I suspect it is going to be a challenge to paint all the details as they are crammed into every corner.

Apart from a few tie downs and the antenna bases (should arrive tomorrow) the build is done. As usual building AM Fruil tracks is a slow, steady, process :(
Completed Campaigns:

Olivier Carneau

Post by Olivier Carneau »

Adam Durrant wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 01:35Lebanese vehicles used painted on license plates so looks like this weekend will be spent sanding.
Some Lebanese tanks had a plate because they were former IDF tanks. You can see a number of them in the Tiran book published by MIG.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

In regards to the Identification plate, Olivier is right, many of them were welded in place and not removed before giving/loaning them to the SLA. They were just painted over, and re-marked. Fruil tracks are nice but ever since I found Masterclub...That's all I use for metal track now. Well, I have two sets of Fruil and once they are gone, that is all I will use.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Adam

The details your adding to this build are amazing and really add so much more to the model. The wiring from the fuel cans must have been fun. :D

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage