Lebanese Tiran 5

2019 Desert Warfare Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/19 - to 31/12/19. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Lebanese Tiran 5

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks Shaun, the fuel lines were fiddly, I’d take Phil’s suggestion and do them in lead wire next time rather than brass.

Looking at Mig’s book on Tirans in Lebanese service there is a huge variation in equipment. On the basis of this I will leave the license plate area and place the Lebanese one over it.

I’m keeping the commander and loaders M1919A1 machine guns (not sure if I’m using the Tamiya or Legend ones yet) but will replace the barrels with AM brass ones I have in the stash. The remote .50 over the barrel was nixed on most Lebanese tanks leaving only the mounting plate. They relocated some to just in front of the commanders hatch or binned them entirely.

The Friul tracks are coming along, all prepped and drilled now, just need to assemble. ;)
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

The only problem with lead wire, is I can never get it to adhere to anything even with superglue. :roll: Does anyone else have that problem?

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

I use lead wire from a fishing store. I think it has some kind of coating on it as it doesn’t oxidize and seems to take CA. The old lead wire I used oxidized and I think the CA stuck to that layer so the wire just pulled off.
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olivier Carneau

Post by Olivier Carneau »

Working with lead wire is not the best solution for this purpose in my opinion. Brass is stiff as needed but still easy to bend. Lead wire is great to get curves but as it is very soft you can easily damage it during handling.
So both are useful in our hobby.
Here is how I used brass and lead wires for my Buffalo MCPV

Concerning gluing lead, I never encounter trouble with standard CA glue. When I need a better grip I drill some hole and I happen to sharpen the end of the lead wire so the contact surface is larger.
HTH
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

All done!

Apart from tow cables and aerials, which will be painted and added later, the build is complete. Secondary armament is just blue tacked in place.

Have used the Tamiya figures, they are pretty good, the poses are quite natural and the facial features are good enough for my painting ability.

Still not sure what I am going to do with the remote .50 over the main armament, some SLA vehicles have it, some don't. Seems a pity to waste it as the PE and resin build comes up really nice. :?
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Made two decisions,

1/ not using the .30cal brass AM barrels as I can’t be arsed and it was easier to drill out the resin ones.
2/ going to use the mount and ammo bin for the .50cal as most pics in the Mig book show this still mounted but not the actual gun.

Hopefully should have primer on by the end of the week. Planning on using the “Black and White” technique again with SLA blue over the top.

Finally got a chance to look at the decal sheet I bought. It has some nice extras such as posters/pics of religious leaders (sorry can’t pick who) which often feature on the glacis or front fenders so this should add a pop of colour.
Completed Campaigns:

Olivier Carneau

Post by Olivier Carneau »

Top job Adam!
Beware of not mixing Muslim and Christian leaders posters on your Tiran ;) From my understanding the SLA didn't show any poster unlike the Lebanese Forces who were a Christian militia. Amal and Hizbullah used to feature posters. As you have the MIG book, you have enough examples which could inspire you.
However, you used the Israeli tanker helmet so Muslim militia would be a bit off.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

What an amazing piece of work! A pity to paint it :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Looks stunning Adam! :D

Especially the whole cobbled together look is already awesome, and that's before the paint. :mrgreen:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Olivier Carneau wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 11:25 Top job Adam!
Beware of not mixing Muslim and Christian leaders posters on your Tiran ;) From my understanding the SLA didn't show any poster unlike the Lebanese Forces who were a Christian militia. Amal and Hizbullah used to feature posters. As you have the MIG book, you have enough examples which could inspire you.
However, you used the Israeli tanker helmet so Muslim militia would be a bit off.
Looks like I'll have to tread a religious minefield, might reference the book again and see what exact pics the guys used and if necessary I might change the heads for generic ones from Hornet
Completed Campaigns: