IDF M3 MkB

2019 Desert Warfare Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/19 - to 31/12/19. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: IDF M3 Commo Halftrack

Post by Philipp Gross »

Either a simple vent or an armoured port for a cable of some sort...or both.... :?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Thanks guys but it doesn't much matter. Both the Real Model and Scale Modelbau shelters are too wide to fit in the back of the halftrack. The Real Model's will get sold and the Scale Modelbau I will see about using in a M-35. Now I have to figure out what to do with the halftrack. If I can get the sides and rear plate off without causing too much damage, I may be able to salvage the kit. If not, back to square one.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Sorry to hear about the issues with the shelter Mark. I'm sure you will come up with something. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Is it the sort of thing where you could scratch build the “box” to the correct dimensions from styrene and add the details from the existing shelter kit?
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Adam,
I would love to try and I may. Even using the "Chopper", I can't get styrene true. Heck, I can't even make a simple picture frame.

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Mark Aldrich wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 17:22 Adam,
I would love to try and I may. Even using the "Chopper", I can't get styrene true. Heck, I can't even make a simple picture frame.
Agreed, anything I make from styrene sheet is usually more filler and prayer than plastic.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

So......I went looking for ideas and I think I might have one. I purchased this item a while ago and have never used it. There were reports that the imprinting lines ruined the hull sides. Looking at it, it doesn't look that bad. I'll know more this weekend as I spray a primer coat on it for verification.

http://www.3dinscale.com/M5.html

Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Well, the M5 idea was a waste. While it looks nice from afar, the processing ridges are terrible plus even after two soap washings there is a sticky residue all over the rear end. I opted to just do a Six Day War Mark 3B (which is a basic M3 with the M49 pulpit). It has been fun because I have had to use the original M3A1 instructions as well as the newer release as Dragon calls this a "Six Day War" vehicle but has you build it with later mods. The worst being the fuel tanks mounted in the rear and the adding of the skate rail. It also calls out to use the PE additional battery box covers. Obviously they do not pay a lot of attention to history. While no one seems to like DS track (except me) their gear is really nice (except the water cans as the backs are hollow). One thing dragon did really miss was the inclusion of stretchers of any kind. Almost every picture of IDF softskins, there is a stretcher usually folded and attached. Luckily, Shapeways has some and they are REALLY nice.

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: IDF M3 MkB

Post by Philipp Gross »

I'm glad you could salvage your build Mark! Can't say I'm used to seeing a halftrack in service after 1945. :shock:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Re: IDF M3 MkB

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Obviously neither has Dragon. Their M3 is a really great kit and aside of some location issues build nicely. However, like all their kits, they seem to have hodged-podged the whole "Six Day War". They give you one 1919 and I believe it came from their M2A1 kit as you have to modify it and the M2 to mount them. There are three other MG mounts and I will be breaking into my Academy sets to fill these mounts out.

Completed Campaigns: