GAZ-69 Anti-tank missile carrier “Baby Carriage”

2018 Softskins Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/18 - to 31/12/18. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

GAZ-69 Anti-tank missile carrier “Baby Carriage”

Post by Adam Durrant »

As my entry in the Heavy Tank build has nearly reached conclusion I felt the need to glue some styrene so made a start on this today. Not a lot online about these, mostly about those used in the Middle East or those captured by the IDF. Would not have liked to be assigned to one, at max range the missile took 20secs to reach the target and was guided optically with a joystick. Plenty of time for the target to detect the launch and either pop smoke, seek cover or shoot back!

So far build has been fiddly with lots of small parts. I’ll post some picks when I make some meaningful progress. Similar to Mark’s build of this I am finding the lack of locating tabs and loose parts placement when there are slots frustrating.

As an aside I’ve been using the new Ammo of Mig styrene glue (thin). It’s great but pretty hot so using a lot of clamping pressure can over reduce parts as the styrene melts.

Adam
Last edited by Adam Durrant on 03 Aug 2018, 04:52, edited 3 times in total.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: GAZ-69 Anti-tank missile carrier “Baby Carridge”

Post by Philipp Gross »

It's a really bizarre concept! Looking forward to some pictures :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Re: GAZ-69 Anti-tank missile carrier “Baby Carriage”

Post by Adam Durrant »

Got into some serious building today. As Mark has already indicated in his build blog, there are a lot of small parts that like to shoot across the room! The instructions are busy and it is very easy to get something the wrong way round as there are very few locating tabs that are tight and positive, most are loose and allow lots of room for malalignment.

As seen above, I got the rear axel all mixed up. My first hint was when it impinged on the fuel tank. Unfortunately I has cemented it in place before the rest of the transmission. As you can see, the rear prop shaft was not going to line up :o

Had to take to it all with a micro chisel and take it apart again and try the other way round :(

Still not sure why you need 14 parts to make one rear axel assembly, could have been done in 3 or 4. This kit follows the trend of Kit Makers breaking things down into smaller and smaller parts. With modern moulding techniques I can't see why this is necessary, I suspect it is all about boasting about the parts break down 8-)

Lots of smaller subassemblies are in process, I suspect I bit off more than I expected with this wee kit!
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: GAZ-69 Anti-tank missile carrier “Baby Carridge”

Post by Philipp Gross »

Sounds like a classic Bronco kit :?

Tamiya moulded the entire 6 wheel drivetrain of their Greyhound as a single part...and it looked perfectly fine!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Yup, was going to build the Tamiya Mutt TOW combo for this GB. Same size vehicle, only 1/10th the number of parts. I’d be on to paint by now instead of chasing tiny bolt heads around the garage :(
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Managed to do all the building I can without needing to paint,

Plan is to get the under carriage, engine and interior painted then close it up...then open it up. Hope to be able to pose it with the bonnet and doors open as there is so much detail it would be a shame to hide it :D
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I take it the rest of assembly was a little easier? ;)

Nice progress!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Philipp Gross wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 11:26 I take it the rest of assembly was a little easier? ;)

Nice progress!

Philipp
Way too many parts still. A piece that could be easily be cast as one bit will be in five :( Still, it’s a beautifully detailed kit.
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Pretty much done with the building. Can't go much further now without painting the interior and some of the parts that will be tricky to get to once all closed up.

My concern is that I don't know how easy it will be to cobble together once painted. If there were decent locating pins and better instructions I'd dry fit everything, but can't even do that. Taking a chance that there won't be any major issues.

Chassis and engine (primed, Citadel Chaos Black)

Interior of the cab and the missile bay

Should get some grey primer on the upper components tomorrow and get some basic colours on the engine. Most of the engine will be hidden when completed, but I plan to have the bonnet up a touch to give a peak at it underneath. :shock:
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

You are doing a terrific job there Adam. It looks like there is lots of detail in the kit but I feel your pain with those tiny pieces. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage