KV-7 Double Your Pleasure.

2018 Assault & Heav Tank Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/18 - to 31/12/18. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Bryan Krueger
Senior Site Contributor.....

KV-7 Double Your Pleasure.

Post by Bryan Krueger »

I haven't started on anything quite yet, but this is my plan for this GB. The KV-7 U-14 Heavy Assault Tank. It's another unusual attempt to mount more firepower to the KV chassis to increase bunker-busting capabilities. The original iteration of the KV-7 U-13 had two 45mm and one 76mm gun mounted on the same gun mount. The 45mm was ineffective in trials so the prototype was modified to fit twin Zis 5 76mm guns. The plan called for 1/5 of KV production to be a KV-7. These never made it past prototype stage. Can't imagine why?

I will be using Trumpeters KV-7 09504 kit for this

Right off the bat I noticed two things that need to be addressed. The kit has continuous fenders but there is a gap in the fenders under the casemate. This will need to be trimmed and the gap under the casemate filled.

And the applique armor welded to the front of the casemate is absent on the kit. It's more obvious on this photo of the U-13.

I plan to build mostly OOB but plans tend to change. Might replace the tracks as there are so many ejector pin marks that need to be filled in the kit link-n-length.

I hope to start this weekend.

Additional information can be found here: Tank Archives
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Re: KV-7 Double Your Pleasure.

Post by Vincent Power »

That is an very unusual subject Bryan. :) I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

As usual your choice of tank is impeccable :lol: For all their flaws at least they directly led to the SU-152, and we know how that story went.

Looking forward to this build, these weird things have been on my wishlist for far too long..... :roll:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Thanks. I've been on a KV kick lately. I was planning on the Tamiya StuG B but after I got a good close look at those fenders with all the ejector pin marks and holes... :roll:

Pilipp - If you look at that link, it discusses the next concept mounting the 152 into the prototype KV-7 hull.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Yep, read that article. Fascinating insights to be sure.

Supposedly Stalin himself suggested using one good gun instead of three poor ones. But Stalin also created the Moscow Metro with a stain from his coffee cup... :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

That will look awesome!
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Thanks Mark!

Making some progress over the last few days. Like most recent Trumpeter KV kits, it has some accuracy issues and detail shortcuts.

The main guns, gun shield and mantle do not match the photos and need further work. Aber is releasing a set of turned aluminum barrels that fit both the two and three barrel versions of the KV-7. Unfortunately Aber made the same mistakes Trumpeter did on the twin ZiS-5 L/42 guns. The guns do not have the armored collar at the base and should be a smooth taper.

The gun shield is missing the armored access plates for the guns. I corrected the mantle to be a one piece cast part with a cut to clear the gun optics. The casemate welds and cut edges are vague or missing and are in progress. Plus Trumpeter screws the modeler over yet again with those dreadful delicate seams that need to be filled around the acorn periscopes.

It looks pretty cool in the low angle shots so I plan to stick with it. ;) :lol:

AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice progress Bryan! Too bad Trumpeter tends to miss some details every now and then...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Thanks. It kinda reminds me of an early StuG.

I think on this and many of the KV prototypes, they are just getting lazy. The new unique parts for the KV-7, the KV-220 have had pretty soft and simplified details. The upcoming KV-3 is going to have the same problems plus a wrong turret shape.

They released a fine KV-1 in 2005, but the molds and part design are starting to show their age. Extra flash, pitting, excessive ejector pin marks, some questionable part assembly/alignment. This may have been OK 13 years ago but now... Would be nice if Miniart tackled the KV series with a full interior!
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

A pity about the KV-3. Whoever did the original KVs either isn't around anymore or has to work under a lot of time pressure. A full interior KV series by Miniart would be quite welcome I'm sure. In the meantime I wouldn't mind a KV-220 with the regular KV turret as actually used in Leningrad.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: