A39 Tortoise

2018 Assault & Heav Tank Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/18 - to 31/12/18. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: A39 Tortoise

Post by Adam Durrant »

Nice thought Philipp, I have some big stars from a 1/32 P-51 in the stash. Either that or mask one up. Other thought would be a big orange identification panel. Did they use those in WWII?
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I think only the Americans used these panels, with a few bright colours that changed every now and then.

With all the bits and pieces on the engine deck a mask might be the easier option? ;)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

I reckon the dust is a good option Adam. :) The star idea can still work in conjunction with the dust of course.
The variations in the green tones look fantastic too.

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Settled then, I'll mask a big white star on the engine deck and dusty the rest up. I think a bit of stowage attached to the fenders and rear deck might also add some pops of colour. 8-)
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Printed out a star from the internet, sized it and traced it onto Tamiya tape. This is what I got,

Not really happy with it. There are a lot of irregularities on the rear deck and getting the mask to conform was painful. Thought I could tidy it up but didn't work out so this is my solution,

Its a set designed for an M4 from ValueGear but the bottom is flat so I can get it to fit the rear deck of the A39. Basic painting done, washes etc to go.

A task I wasn't looking forward to was assembling the aftermarket tow cables. The A39 has pretty heavy duty, double cables which Voyager has you build from scratch which was a real fiddle.

The eyelets are three pieces of PE, I've used fly tying fine wire to wind the ends and tamiya tape for the canvas binders that hold the cables together as they run through the stowage brackets.

Onwards and upwards, I want to get the bulk of this done before I go on conference again and will get nothing done for a bit. :D
Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

It all looks good to me Adam. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Too bad about the star....such things can be difficult if the ground is uneven. The big stowage pile should work just as well :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Slow progress again. Stowage painted, just need some minor work and a wash or two;

The bright orange muffler is not as stark in real life but is a WIP!

Tow cables on and spare track links attached. These look to be painted black on the Bovington example, not sure how to weather them a bit to make them look less bland. Any ideas?

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Managed to finish this off a while back but to lazy to set up the camera. With the Great War GB now also completed I’ll gets some pics off to Philipp tomorrow. :D
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Fantastic :D

Looking forward to them! 8-)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: