A39 Tortoise

2018 Assault & Heav Tank Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/18 - to 31/12/18. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Bryan Krueger
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: A39 Tortoise

Post by Bryan Krueger »

Great progress Adam! Looks great.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Build is all done, some of the parts in the pics are just balanced in place as it will be easier to paint them off the model.

Replicated the asbestos lagging on the smaller muffler with Tamiya tape.

The smoke dischargers are small kits in themselves and are a bit of a fiddle to get to fit the kit at the right angle. Not quite sure why they needed 18 of them, especially the 6 on the MG turret.

Just need to build the tow cables up, the kit parts are fine, I'm not going to use the Voyager PE option as it adds nothing. Should get some primer shot this week, just waiting on the courier to deliver it as I'm all out of Tamiya Grey. :D

The commanders hatch is still workable, I'm hoping to get the time to paint a figure, a tank this big needs one to give it context I feel.

Might build my Meng T-34 Toon Tank while I wait.... ;)
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Managed to get primer on last week and over the weekend got the top coat of Olive Drab on.

No decals are provided in the kit, but as this is a bit of a "what if" there is latitude with the markings. The "9" is from a Eduard Bearcat Kit. A coat of Tamiya X-22 has been applied prior to attaching the tracks and armoured skirts.

Chose a fictitious unit marking. Decided as this was a heavy assault tank a charging bull would be appropriate. The pull tab on a Red Bull can provided a suitable mask!

Just applied the tracks and skirts tonight. I'll let everything harden up over the next 48hrs then on to filters and OPR! :D
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Looks fantastic Adam! :D

I wouldn't have ever thought of using a Red Bull tab like that....mostly because I can't stand the stuff, but still... :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Looks even better now that the tracks and skirts are on. It’s the largest model I’ve built so far and looks “solid” sitting on the workbench!

Unfortunately due to my line of work and the lack of lunch and tea breaks I consume way too much Red Bull. Have been looking for an excuse to use the tab as a mask for a while now :D

On a more serious note, the skirts go on easy and mate up with the fenders, bogies, drive sprocket and idler attachment points flawlessly. There are reports in other build reviews of poor fit in this area, but I suspect the fact the sprue they come on is in a different colour styrene suggests a redesign of some parts to improve fit. Nice work from Meng responding to consumer feedback. :ugeek:
Completed Campaigns:

Bryan Krueger

Post by Bryan Krueger »

That looks fantastic! Was never a huge fan of the Tortoise (could use a bigger gun) but I like this build a lot.
AKA Maschinen Krueger

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Stunning Adam! :D
Just stunning! :mrgreen:

A beautiful veritable monster! :shock: :mrgreen:

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Size comparison;

Started on dot filters last night to break yo the endless green

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

OK, hit a serious road block. At the moment its just a big, olive drab, lump.

I've added dot filters, but of course that has tended to darken the whole lot. Looking for advice here, what should I do?

1/ Add a "what if" camo pattern, ie a tan stripe or blocky winter pattern?

2/ Dust it up to lighten it up with thinned Tamiya buff in the right places and pigments?

3/ Give up, strip the paint and start again? (my least favourite option)

Any thoughts???
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Doesn't look too bad in my opinion? ;)

Since we're already in what if territory with the markings why not add some colourful unit markings? Maybe a big white star on the engine deck to keep the bloody yanks from wrecking it? :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage