Review: ICM 35688 WW1 US Infantry Weapons and Equipment

Have an interesting new kit? Post a review here!
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Review: ICM 35688 WW1 US Infantry Weapons and Equipment

Post by Philipp Gross »

Raoul Kunz is back with more weapons to review...

Full review here.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Review: ICM 35688 WW1 US Infantry Weapons and Equipment

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Another superb review Raoul :D

These small arms reviews from WWI really are top notch work ;)

Well researched and well presented for the everyday modeler to absorb

There can't be many more out there based on WWI, are there?

You really will have a massive amount of "stuff" for your 100 year GB

Best regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

He's already sent me the next review :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Great review again Raoul.

It’s a pity they miss out the M1917. The “P17” was issued to more troops than the 1903 as the US was already manufacturing the P14 in .303 for the British and it was easy to rebarrel to 30.06 and eliminate the volley sights. The magazine was designed for 5 of the rimmed .303 round so held 6 of the smaller diameter 30.06 rounds. Sgt. York used a M1917, but in all movies about him is shown with the more “American” ‘03 Springfield. Being externally the same in 1/35 you could us a P14 from a commonwealth weapons set.

The WWI BAR depicted also has the correct chequering of the foregrip that was eliminated in later versions. The pouch set supplied is correct for the BAR gunner, but incorrect for the BAR no. 2 and BAR squad leader (The BAR was based on a 3 man team, this arrangement persisted till the end of the Korean War). The no.2 man had a symmetrical belt with three ammo pouches for two mags each on each side. The Squad leader had three on the left and two on the right with the front spot being occupied by a twin mag pouch for his 1911 pistol. The BAR gunner had three pouches on the left, one on the right, again the front spot held a twin 1911 mag pouch. The black “box” on the centre spot is a metal “cup” for the guns butt to support it during “walking fire”. A leather 1911 holster hung off the bottom of the belt at location one (rear most mag pouch) for the gunner and squad leader on the right, the no. 2 gunner carried a rifle for self defense. The gunner carried a leather wallet with spares and a tool roll for the gun in this pouch rather than magazines. I’ll dig out my BAR belts and post some pics.

I’m not a rivet counter, but as well as modelling I also collect US equipment!
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Steve - the Great War era sets may run out, but I'll probably check out the ICM WW2 sets after that, as it's always nice to have a ton of guns for everyone :lol: .

And thanks very much to you Adam! :D It's awesome to get the additional info from you, I was essentially condensing what I've read on the BAR as well as using some info from recent C&Rsenal episode on the gun :lol: .
Love your additional info! Especially coming from someone with an actual connection to the hardware :mrgreen: !

It`s a shame about the Enfield, true, and the Commonwealth set only has the crappy Ross rifle :lol: ...

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage