REVIEW - ICM 35638 WWII German Infantry Weapons & Equipment

Have an interesting new kit? Post a review here!
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

REVIEW - ICM 35638 WWII German Infantry Weapons & Equipment

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Another of these "stuff I have lying around on my table right now" reviews! ;)
Also another set of guns!

This time a gun and assorted kit set from ICM.
Before we go into what's in it we take a look at the box art and find something...strange.
Everything that's in the box is on it..except the Gewehr 98 which is just that: a Mauser Gewehr Model 1898 with the curved tangent-type rear sight of pre-Great War vintage. :shock: :?
Turns out it's just a graphical error and in the box we find the 1935 K98k with shorter barrel, straight tangent sight and turned down bolt handle.
Though it's a bit of an irritating start.

In the set are two (actually four, but the second set just contains two 8mm Mauser ammo belts) beautifully, and I mean beautifully, moulded if somewhat unbalanced (more on that later), sprues each containing the following (I will comment on the item if there's something noteworthy):

1x MG-34, comes with a collapsed and spread bi-pod option
2x 8mm Mauser belt ammo boxes, come with finely moulded separate handles
2x 8mm Mauser belts, one with the loading latch and both in supremely fine detail
1x K98k
3x S84/98 III bayonet with it's sheath and frog
2x pouch triplets for 8mm Mauser 5-round-clips
1x MG accessory box
1x MP38/40 with a separately finely moulded shoulder stock
1x set of both MP38/40 magazine pouches, beautifully moulded to fit around a figure's waist
2x Luger Parabellum Pistole 08 coffers with closed flap
1x The same for the Walther P38
3x Shovel with the S84/98 III bayonet in it's sheath and frog fixed on top
3x Gas mask canister
3x Mess tin
3x Canteen
1x Officer's card bag
1x Binocular case
1x Binoculars with covered lenses
1x Binoculars without cover
1x Military box flash light
4x M35 Stahlhelm in excellent detail,correct dimensions (not always easy it would appear) with the correct ventilation holes and liner bolts

This selection, while moulded mostly in superior quality, is... unbalanced in more than one way in it's selection of contents.
Let's start with the obvious: there is only two K98k. As it also contains the same number of machine guns and sub-machine guns this is somewhat weird if we translate this to the figures we could equip with the guns.
While the Heer did have a comparatively large amount of machine guns in a platoon there is a distinct lack of regular repeating rifles here. The same goes for the MP38/40 - it's the weapon of senior noncoms and commissioned officers, not something generally available to everyone , no matter what both Hollywood and Battlefield would like you to believe.
Another equally weird element of this set is the strange fact that the 98 must have done something to the designer, mould-maker or box art illustrator or all of them since, while it's nowhere near "bad" or the wrong gun, is the single worst moulded item in this otherwise excellently moulded set...as I mentioned, it's nothing terrible or unusable, it's just not quite as sharp as the rest... er... the other two guns.
Which brings me to the fact that needs to be stated here explicitly: this "weapon set" contains a whole lot six models of three different guns, if we leaves out the pistols since those could as well be empty holsters.
Not all that much really.
However you do get some excellently moulded helmets and beautiful versions of the immediate gun accessories as well as some kit. There really is no reason not to add some bread bags at least.

In short: It's a beautifully moulded set lacking somewhat in extent of content.
Given that all of ICM's other weapon sets are more generously equipped with guns and roughly a tenth of the price cheaper (this of course might vary) I can only offer a very mild recommendation on the condition that you use it to supplement other sets. It's really not an offer that can stand on it's own.

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Last edited by Raoul Kunz on 21 Jul 2017, 11:44, edited 5 times in total.
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Re: REVIEW - ICM 35638 WWII German Infantry Weapons & Equipm

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Another detailed and masterful review of an accessory set, Raoul :D

Perhaps they need to rename it Equipment & weapon set?

Useful to have, but not readily available :?

One day, they will realise, we just need a rifle accesssory pack, as they are most used, and easiest damaged in 1:35, being so thin and delicate

Well done ;)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Re: REVIEW - ICM 35638 WWII German Infantry Weapons & Equipm

Post by Vincent Power »

Thanks Raoul, another very informative review. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage