REVIEW - AF35112 "Sturmbrücke"

Have an interesting new kit? Post a review here!
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

REVIEW - AF35112 "Sturmbrücke"

Post by Raoul Kunz »

And another small(-ish) review!
- 'ere we go! =>

This is an "add on set" of sorts by AFVClub since it requires you to have any 251 kit as a base.
They should all work, any Ausführung (A-D) and any interior layout is possible as long as it has the correct angle of the upper hull armour... and I honestly know of no kit currently available that gets this wrong.
So you should be able to build a 251/7 with any of the currently available 35th scale Sdkfz. 251.

Before I get into the parts (spoiler: they're nice) a word about terminology and the designator "Sturmbrücke":

I have not managed to encounter the term "Sturmbrücke" (sg. for no reason really, they always came in pairs...) (assault bridge) in any scientific publication outside those that have early modern siege warfare as a topic.
However the literature yields the termini "Schnellbrücke" (quick/fast bridge), "Behelfsbrücke" (improvised bridge) and "Sturmsteg" (assault gangplank), all of which I have already encountered occasionally while doing research for the last 251/7 I've built and in reading up on the 251 in general.
So I shall henceforth refer to these "short wood plated steel lengths for crossing smaller obstacles" ( :lol: ) as "Sturmstege" (pl.).

That's it for now with the semiotics :lol: - now on with the interesting topic!

Instructions are a simple one-page/two-graph matter that happen to be printed on the sturdy back of the box.
It*s a nice feature especially if you happen not to have read this review or any other and would like to actually see what's in the box without having to arouse suspicion by opening it ;) .
Moulding is generally sharp if a little less so than the "regular" AFVClub. The wood grain on the four wooden crates (eventually invisible), the six optional planks and most importantly the Sturmstege however is nice while neither so shallow that a careless paint-job would negate them nor caricature level overdone like some wood grain in 35th scale.

A bit of a mild annoyance are the sometimes huge sprue gates. I say mild because the are actually fairly narrow at the edges and thus not much a problem as long as you follow their orientation while cutting so as not to twist some fo the smaller items out of shape.
It should maybe mentioned that this set comes with everything you'd need to make a reasonable 251/7 from any 251 - even mines and ammunition boxes for 8mm Mauser in two versions (drum and box).

That said, let's let the photos speak for themselves =>

(x2)

Depending on when you read this there could already be (or soon to come) a demonstration of the parts in use in this build blog ;) .

Best regard

Raoul G. Kunz

Lit.
Spielberger, Doyle, Jentz - "Halbkettenfahrzeuge des Deutschen Heeres"
Motorbuchverlag 2012

Rath - "Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster - Katalog"
Deutsches Panzermudeum Munster 2013
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage