REVIEW - MB3545 "Stukas im Anflug"

Have an interesting new kit? Post a review here!
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

REVIEW - MB3545 "Stukas im Anflug"

Post by Raoul Kunz »

And another of the MB figure sets - this time an older one as indicated by the four digit number and (spoiler ;) ) lack of the weapon set.

Topically it's another interesting "actiony" set with four infantrymen spreading a air recognition sheet (which at this point was a plain national flag as interpreted by the ruling party i.e. black swastika on white on a red background).
The detail is, again (I'm repeating myself, I know), really good if a tiny little bit less sharp than in the more recent sets.

This set is clearly defined for Case Blue and has everyone wearing the correct M1940 5 buttoned uniform with jackboots, rolled up sleeves and opened collars as appropriate for a summer campaign.
Since there is no set of generic helmets here, one comes with a very nicely moulded cloth cover (that's pre standard issue of these items, so it can be any colour or pattern you'd like to have on it as long as it's a 1942 appropriate one).
Equipment is a bit of a mixed bag - while some items, especially leather or cloth items such as clip pouches and bread bags are beautifully done and arguably better than the more generic ones that come with the weapons set, the guns themselves are a bit more basic. Nothing remotely bad in any way but just not as sharp when compared to the new ones.
It's just four K98k and a Walther or Erma (they made the same gun) Model 34 Leuchtpistole LP34.

Something rather interesting to people who might feel, for whatever reason, that displaying the swastika in a historical context is problematic (like the German Verfassungsschutz... :roll: ) the included air recognition sheet comes with decals to either construct a swastika from pieces or use the historically incorrect Balkenkreuz of the Wehrmacht on the flag for a strange cross of army heraldry on a party flag as you sometimes find it in video games...or leave it blank if so desired.

Again, as expected, a beautiful and well thought out set from Master Box displaying a scene that was something of a calling card of the Heer/Luftwaffe cooperation in close support in the early war years - very welcome!

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Last edited by Raoul Kunz on 09 Jul 2017, 21:55, edited 2 times in total.
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Re: REVIEW - MB3545 "Stukas im Anflug"

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Thanks Raoul

Another detailed review

A little heavier on the seams but that's what my lunch times are for, scribing figures 8-)

Shame about the weapons set, and the bizarre flag deal too.

I guess an Archer's foil flag would be a good investment ;)

Look forward to seeing them come to life

Regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks for all the figure reviews...definitely useful :D

Concerning the second flag option...believe it or not, there's a photo:

No idea how this came to be, but it was most likely improvised in the field...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Well.. okay.. I've ever only seen this style of flag in video games, but there it is... :shock: :o :lol: .

Though it's not exactly in the first half of the war at least :lol: .
At this point the army was getting pretty mixed up with the party (more than the oh so little matter of conducting a war of annihilation on the eastern front that is...) and following the failed June '44 coup d'etat the army would come completely under party control so it might be a little reminder by some officer that there is a difference between party and army?

Anyway thanks for pointing it out!

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

I picked up this set a while back. I need to get some of those weapon sets you keep raving about :P

Thanks for the review Raoul :)
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Thanks for the review Raoul. :) As for the flag...fact is stranger than fiction perhaps?

Vincent
Completed Campaigns: