Arnhem Take 2!

2017 Figure Vignettes Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/07/17 - to 31/12/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Arnhem Take 2!

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Thanks chaps

Daisy is a standard moggy, Anya and Henry are the part Bengals
My hobby just isn't interesting enough for their pedigree tastes :lol: :lol:

Love the static grass, it really is fun to use, and the blobs of tufts are looking good too.

It will need some weathering to mute the brilliant bight colours down a little, even though this was an autumn selection of 2, 4, and 6 mm sized grasses

I think they are really designed for the railway modeling sector, so scale colour isn't as big an issue!

They do come in 4 seasons and 4 lengths, though the 10mm are too long to really be used in the dispenser?

I have a cunning plan to try this weekend, we will see if it works ;)

Back to more normal hours has reduced the output, but I shall try and get some paint onto more of the figures,
working through the paparazzi towards the 2 main characters of the whole scenario

Though the flesh set still sits in it box!

Uniforms first, then hands and finally the heads.

More soon?

Thanks for popping by

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Had a "uniform" week :lol:

Progress so far
Needs a leather flying jacket

I thing they are OK?

As they are 1:35 the photos are nearly 3 times bigger than the real thing.

They "pass" the 2 foot test, but I still have heads, hands, boots and belts to do!

And a flying jacket.

There are 3 more figures to scribe too, but that is a lunchtime thing

I also need to weather the tarmac with some washes and dull down the very bright grass with some dry brushing and possibly AB work.

It does feel good to be painting again, just need to not drop the brush as often!

More next weekend hopefully, as I am on 8-4 shifts which is a pain, up at 4am every morning back by 17:30 and pretty done for.

We will see

Thanks for popping by

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Lookin real good so far Steve, following with interest as I'm about to launch into my first dedicated figure paint!

Adam
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Oooops!

Been longer than I thought :oops:

I have only had odd 1/2 hours to do little bits and pieces but have more or less finished all 10 uniforms, boots, belts and bags.

Now the big test will be heads and hands :? :roll:

I also need to finish the base and street furniture, which is very close to completion ;)

Next week is late shift, so a little more time to paint, and tomorrow I shall attack the base with a view to finishing it off :roll:

More soon, hopefully

Steve H

Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Been longer than I thought :oops:
That*s precisely how I feel every time I post something after what feels like a couple of days but turns out to have been a week or more ;) .

Looking forward to see your progress Steve! I suppose you're a bit like me - doing only little steps in the odd half-hours but eventually its suddenly done :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Know what you mean Raoul ;)
A mish mash of an update :roll:
A recap :oops:
So a reasonably substantial update, which gets the base more or less done, the figures are being scribbed and assembled during my lunch breaks.
So here we go, claycrete, PVA glue and acrylic paint makes mud!
Which makes a base for a "grassy bank"
Even though I cling filmed the frame, doing the wet work spoiled the respray, so I had to do it again!
Anyway, on with the grass, the delivery agent, I bought it 4 years ago, this will be the first real test,
The grasses, 2, 4, 6, 10 mm, and all four seasons, a good variety
And hey presto, grass
And grassy bumps to break the clean line between the grass and he gutter on the road
I have watched loads of You Tube videos to try and do a better job, and it does help to use either foil or a metal tray, as a base to get a better circuit to lift the longer grass.
The base before some "blurring"of the divide
After a little work
And some of the props
The sign post is a work in progress
A balsa sign with foil fastenings
I need to dry brush the newer longer grass to mute its vivid railway modeler colour, and finish the sign post and 1 1/2 benches in a bland metropolitan paint for severe chipping and wear, as it would not be unreasonable to assume there were no maintenance workers, painting benches during 1940 to 1945?
Always open to other ideas?
also longer grass around the bases of said furniture too.
I shall endeavour to be more frequent with the next updates, which should be more figure related
Thanks for popping by

Steve H

Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Don't worry about the updates, they're fine and impressive as it is! :D

I really like how you've blended the edges and the notion that obviously the grass would not have been maintained all that intensely with total war going on is a thought that seems perfectly logical but oh so many (not on this site though :lol: ) modellers just use diorama equipment ootb (or package.. that would be ootp?), especially the whole railway scene, only to wonder what they did wrong and why it doesn't look real... :roll:

I usually tone down my grass (and let's face it, it's always been dry grass for European Russia during Barbarossa or Blue :lol: ) by going over the whole way-too-green-even-though-it's-dry-grass...grass with a soft brush carrying dry dark ochre pigments. I suppose you'd have to use something a bit more saturated, some green tone or mix thereof, for western Europe though - it's not really grassy steppes west of the Bug :lol: .

The benches are the ones included in virtually every Miniart set, aren't they? Nice generic late 19th century benches those are, not like the modern boring plastic and straight lines items ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Post scriptum: I'll have a message for you before the weekend is over ;) .
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

A very small update
Suffering with mind fog at the moment, whilst waiting for a diagnosis of either migraines or cluster headaches :(
The figures are at hands and heads, and the grass needs some blending and toning down, with a muted palette, of lighter greens, beige's, browns and such
I shall add some longer stems with flower heads for contrast
The only thing I have managed is the Arnhem signpost
The "furniture" all needs, a light liner around the rust and plenty of weathering
What little I have done recently
The Bug does look nice and grassy, Raoul ;)
Hopefully we will both be feeling better soon?
Thanks for popping by
More soon?
Regards
Steve H

Completed Campaigns: