US Army Tractor

2017 Recovery & Engineering Vehicles Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/07/17 - to 31/12/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Re: US Army Tractor

Post by Gary Boxall »

Thanks Vincent.

I applied Woody's technique for positioning the front wheels - and going a step further by making the steering linkages workable too...

I'm planning on putting this on a base which has pretty uneven groundwork so I also made the front arm moveable too...

Rear wheel guards in place....

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

The PE supplied for the footplates is nicely etched, but very thin so needs careful handling. The outside edges need to be bent up and a seperate support bracket is also added - soldering being the best form of securing the parts together....

The right hand side also gets a seperate raised foot rest...

Seat is easy enough to assemble - I replaced the moulded spring with one made from 10amp fusewire...

The pedals are okay, but lack any tread detail so I made new ones using PE from my spares box...

The cowling is pretty straightfoward with a PE pice for the instrument panel (Decals are supplied for the gauges). Here's how she sits so far on the base I have planned....

Gary

Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Looks positively great Gary! :D

Wait.. that's a base I know, I think I have it around here somewhere... ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Thanks Raoul.

Added some final parts such as intake/exhaust (dry fitted at this stage) alng with some wiring, fuel lines, linkages and additional bolt heads here and there...

I expect that the CASE logo was left off the front due to licensing rights rather than an omission by the designer. I made one using Archer resin decals - perfect size for this application!

Need the resin wheels I have on order to arrive now before I can set the front axle into its final position and add the final steering linkage rod. Then it's off to the paintshop.

Gary

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Nice work Gary, nice quick build with extra detail just where necessary!
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Wow! That Case lettering is fantastic Gary, just like the whole build. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Sometimes you get an AM set and it doesnt live up to expectations. The resin set for this is one of those times.
The set has 2 rear tyres and the front wheel/tyres cast together. Unfortunately, the tyres have shrunk a little which means a gap between them and the kit's rim. Would have been better to cast a completet wheel.
The front's are okayish but need a bit of work on the tread. Very frustrating. So will stick with the vinyl tyres after all :roll:

Gary

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Managed to shoot some primer at this tonight. No photos as it looks teh same as before - just all grey now :lol: Will see if I can get a base colour on tomorrow with any luck. Will probably go with good ol' OD :D

Gary

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

AK Interactive Olive Drab box set is used for the main colour. OD base, highlighs and shadows. I also used the tyre grey colour from the set which, IMHO, is a little too grey so the tyres were post shaded with Tamiya NATO black. Decided to go with USAAF markings for something a little different. Next up with be a clear coat to seal in the decals and then onto the weathering process...

Gary

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

I won't be using this base for the final display as it doesn't really suit the tractor IMHO, but I am calling it complete...

Have kept weathering to a minimum as it is a vehicle based in the UK so wouldn't have seen a hard life at the front.

Gary