A Crossing under Fire

2017 Recovery & Engineering Vehicles Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/07/17 - to 31/12/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

A Crossing under Fire

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Welcome to my next, this time only slightly, over-ambitious project :mrgreen: !

"A Crossing under Fire"

The whole scene will be assault pioneers of GD during Case Blue (at this time IR GD had been expanded to Infanterie Division Großdeutschland (motorisiert [motorized - meaning in this context (GD) mechanized]) (ID GD mot.) though already featuring a lot of mechanized assets that even PDs didn't have) in the process of deploying their assault bridges across some rather small but steeply edged culvert or small stream or run of some sort with an officers Type 166 (the design of which had been finished in spring '42 and I suppose GD could have gotten their mittens on an early production version... the Reichsjägermeister had one already anyway so why not :lol: ) having tried to cross the water obstacle by virtue of it's amphibious capabilities and gotten stuck on the rather steep farther shore and having come under fire from enemy positions further past the obstacle.
If I feel like it I'll also have some of the engineers trying to signal incoming air support to suppress whatever has them under fire.

Here's the current stash for the project:

The 251 C will be built as a 251/7 by adding the assault bridges and stashing the rockets for some other 251.

I probably won't be using all of the figures, but I'll try to have a little review of the two older ones.

And I started and pretty much finished the Type 166...

~45 minutes to get to this point - it's also not just a simply little kit, it's also a really nice simple little kit, nothing overly simplified, beautiful detail and fine moulding, the usual great Tamiya 90s+ kit fit... in short(er): it's altogether nice!

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Last edited by Raoul Kunz on 09 Jul 2017, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: A Crossing under Fire

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice start! Yep, that Schwimmwagen is a fantastic little kit :D

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

""Welcome to my next, this time only slightly, over-ambitious project :mrgreen: !""

Really! :shock: :o 8-)

Great selection and a review of any of the components will help spread the PA brand on the interweb, especially with the older kits, sets and stuff,
so another great idea to do Raoul, in the review section ;)

Love the idea, what will you use for water?

That has been a "sticky" point for many a modeler :roll:

Great start too, with the 166 done already, I think there was only 1 manufacturer of the 128?

AFV club?

Great start, Raoul :D

regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hey Raoul, loving the action dioramas, not always easy to pull off, so hats off to you for doing these Image

I'm settling in to watch this Image
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Philipp, Steve and Justin! :D
Great start too, with the 166 done already, I think there was only 1 manufacturer of the 128?
The 128 was just a prototype small series development using a lot of Type 82 components and behaving like a cow on ice in water as well as having the unhealthy tendency to.. you know.. come apart because of the lack of reinforced structures and the insufficient streamlining of the hull and the minor fact that the full scale Kübel chassis simply was too long to really deal with the stresses when swimming - hence the "coming apart" problem.

And yes there was only VW... also for the Type 166... well Porsche (the company, not Dr. Ing. Ferdinand Porsche [he was busy at the time inventing a way too complicated Tiger version... ended up as the Ferdinand], though he invented the Type 62...ever wonder why the 911 looks much like a flattened Beetle? -yeah that's why...also: as of 2017 Porsche is again a Part of VW...) was involved in producing a whole lot of ~1500 Type 166s... contrasting to ~15.000 built by VW.

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Speaking of the 166... I activated an older AB after the current died just to annoy me, nothing dramatic, it was a cheap one anyway, and did the atypically grey camo and the GD markings on the tiny tub. :lol:
It's far from finished na d many components are still missing or just placed on the kit for the photo ;) .
=>

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

You just finished a huge project and you jump straight into another one Raoul. You are a machine :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Vincent! :D
It's not going to be a huge project...I think... it'll be smaller than the last one! :roll: :lol:

Look - the current state of affairs is positively tiny! I've built 72nd and 76th scale vehicles that where bigger! :lol:
=>

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Geez Raoul, that was fast!! :shock:
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Woody! :D

But it's really a simple shake and bake kit.. I just had to find some different, earlier (the ones that come with the kit are for '44) GD markings, add some etched clamps to the shovel and paddle and wrap the window in a length of glue drenched toilet paper and voila!... it's just one vehicle, there will after all be a 251/7 to go with it ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns: