IDF M113 Chata P (Late)

2017 Recovery & Engineering Vehicles Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/07/17 - to 31/12/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: IDF M113 Chata P (Late)

Post by Adam Durrant »

Well, the course last weekend was a day of my life that I won't get back!

Made some progress this week. Got a pin wash on, minor details are being painted and I've done some light OPR. Most of these vehicles appear well maintained in the pics I've seen so I'm not going overboard with the weathering. There doesn't appear to be a lot of external stowage as well, mainly due to the ample stowage space built in!

Exhaust system started, base coat of dark brown, over painted with oils then pigments then thinner to bind them to the still damp oils. Quick and effective!

Tarp at the rear is a WIP, base coat of desert yellow so far.

The two MAG58s are done, just a bit of a tidy up and pick out some details on the commander's gun's stock.

I'm really pleased with the nose end. The fold down work bench has come out nicely with the decal contouring into the wood grain nicely. A few washes are picking out the wood grain. I have knocked the width indicators off a few times during painting!

Commanders cupola is missing as I'm finishing this as a sub assembly.

Tracks are an issue, I'm forced to use the rubber band ones as I made a few errors in the construction that have forced me this way. They are OK (luckily) and so far paint is sticking to them :?

How do others finish off vision blocks? The kit ones are sold resin, I've painted them with AK "green crystal" paint, they look OK but I'm sure I can do better.

Adam
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Vision blocks look OK
Not sure what shade is correct for a modern kit though?
Just a drop of gloss varnish?
Could be my phone though, not good for close ups!
You're making better progress that the rest of us!
Regards
Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

SKP Model offer coloured stickers for modern vehicle periscopes. Not sure if they have one for the M113 but maybe you could adapt something else.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Vision blocks look OK
Not sure what shade is correct for a modern kit though?
Just a drop of gloss varnish?
Could be my phone though, not good for close ups!
You're making better progress that the rest of us!
Regards
Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:

Olivier Carneau

Post by Olivier Carneau »

It still is so beautiful to look at !!

The vision blocks glasses are usually greenish. The sighting optics used to be blue at a time.
The current US vehicles feature a purple shade on the glasses due to thee anti-laser coating. I don't know whether or not the IDF do the same on their vehicles.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Had to abandon the kit supplied rubber band tracks, they are aweful and paint doesn’t stick to them :(

Tried the kit Indi links but they are not much better and not really “workable”even with slow setting glue. 8-)

Considered using a set of rubber band tracks out of a Tamiya set but the drive sprocket teeth don’t line up. :x

Assembled some links of my M113 ModelKasten set and tried them on the kit supplied sprocket but no go. :roll:

During the Build I forgot to install the ModelKasten axel for the sprocket. This involves modification to the kit part I can’t do now when it is assembled. However, as usual, the solution was simple, I drilled out the MK sprocket hub and now it fits on the kit axel. Just had to add a small spacer from evergreen so the the spacing is correct and we are away again! Means the Strv-103 build will be shelved for a bit but it’s time to put this build to bed so I’ll be assembling link all week! :D
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Totally love the vehicle! I have used the AFV Club AF35064 as they hold paint and can be glued with normal cements. The only issue is that they really don't lay down well. Because Fruil did not make their M113 track directional, I use the AFV Club sets and adjust the best I can.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

MK tracks have done the trick. 4 parts per track link, 61 links per side. Not quite as bad as some of the Sherman track sets offered by MK but still two nights in front of the TV cutting, sanding and gluing. Shot some primer on them last night and hope to weather them and their drive sprocket up over the weekend (all going well) :D

The timeline in my head has this build completed some time next week....I live in hope!
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

All done.

Nice sunny day outside but still crap images! I'll take some better ones for the gallery when I get half a chance.

Overall;

Academy Kit
- A bit dated and has some pretty annoying ejector pin marks. Wish I had used the Tamiya A2/A3 in my stash.
- Lots of nice extras such as equipment and a couple of quite nicely moulded crew
- Basically only used the hull tub, running gear and basic interior so still have a lot of extras for the spares box as this kit already came with options to build several models!

Legend Conversion Set
- Nice, came together as advertised. A bit fiddly in places but very nicely cast.
- Instructions are a bit basic, essentially a sheet of photos.

ModelKasten tracks
- Nice, as usual with these individual link tracks you spend many hours repeating the same steps which is mind numbing but the result is worth it.

;)
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Most excellent work :D

Sunlight can be slightly unpredictable for model photos, especially if the camera is running in automatic mode. Your safest option is probably a pair of desk lamps with high energy 'natural' lightbulbs that give a nice neutral light. This way you can also avoid hard shadows on one side of the model.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage