IDF M109A2 Rochev

2017 Self-Propelled Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Mark Aldrich
Senior Site Contributor.....

IDF M109A2 Rochev

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Another late to the game, but this one is real. I'll add Box art when I get home but I will FINALLY be able to get a campaign logo under my name. It will be a OOTB as it is a review kit. Looking over the parts, The only issues I have are the option of making it a Alef Model (short gunner periscope housing). Also, the instructions call for you to paint the IR lights black but that is incorrect. The IDF have never used IR driving equipment and the IR lenses are painted the body color. No idea who's vehicle it will be as the markings do not include any "assigned to" units. AFV Club has made the roadwheels completely styrene but made them in two parts (I guess for better detail). This makes for more work and clean up. I will start clamping these babies this evening.
Last edited by Mark Aldrich on 12 May 2017, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: IDF M109A2 Rochev

Post by Philipp Gross »

Welcome aboard :D

Still plenty of time until June 30, at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself of :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

I actually have less than that! Me and Mrs. TreadHead will be in Maine from the 10th-24th of June. Should be a fun Speed Build.

Completed Campaigns:

Olivier Carneau

Post by Olivier Carneau »

I'll follow this one with a great interest. I have the old Italeri Paladin in the stash and would love to tackle some state of the art M109 in the future. And the IDF version is more attractive in my opinion.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

As I was sanding off nuts and drilling holes in the hull sides, I realized that AFV Club designers are not the smartest box of rocks. They could have designed the hull sides with all the bolt heads attached and showed you which ones to remove as opposed to shaving off some and then having to add others. If it wasn't a review, I would shave them all off and attach the ones that are needed. Then they will all look the same. I definitely would have preferred a one piece lower hull tub as opposed to the 11 piece affair that AFV Club provides. Every time I applied pressure, something came out of alignment.

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

I am assuming that they use their M109 Paladin kit as a base? I always find that when a kit manufacturer tries to do multiple variants of one model they "cut corners" to make it more modular. AFV clubs Centurion series was like this as well, I finished the ShotKal and had so many sprus of parts left over! :shock:
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

No idea of the base but the instructions tell me to shave off one of the two footman steps at the nose and the Doher is the only vehicle that has two. My nose doesn't have ANY footman mounts to shave off so I have no clue what they mean! The reason I love model building. Also ran into a turret issue. After test fitting it appears that something is terribly warped. There is almost a 1/4 inch gap on the rear turret mounting. The more I build, It seems that the base of this kit is the Doher and the instructions were modified to build a Rochev. One of the steps has you attach two metal plates to the lower front hull. The Doher is the only version that has these. Not only that, the PE they use is way to thin. You need to use these as templates and cut .15 or .20 styrene for a more proper thickness. Also, the footman steps are of the Doher design (they have two hull attachment points) while the Rochev only has one.

Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Progress. Only thing that makes it IDF right now is the frontal plate with the anti slip bars mounted on it. No Weld marks visible and there should be.

Completed Campaigns:

Mark Aldrich

Post by Mark Aldrich »

Starting to look like a Rochev....

Completed Campaigns: