Tamiya JSU-152

2017 Self-Propelled Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Tamiya JSU-152

Post by Adam Durrant »

Busy week but filled in the bigger chips with "rust" and for the Archer dry transfers on. Will be using dry transfers as much as possible in the future, they are a huge step up on water slide decals :D

The finer chipping doesn't show at the moment. Got the tools painted and external fuel storage attached.

Coat of satin varnish from Mig has sealed it all. I'll let it harden overnight then on to oils.
Last edited by Adam Durrant on 11 Jun 2017, 02:09, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

I would be very happy with that for sure. Nice work.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Very nice chipping Adam :D

Very nice indeed ;)

Looking good and in time to finish the GB too

regards

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Filters, pin wash and oils all done. Significant progress this week with the running gear on and the tracks caked in dry mud.

Dust on the rear deck and fenders, oil staining around the rear and drivers fuel tanks started. A bit more rubble to be added to the rear deck, I've got some ceramic bricks somewhere I'd like to use, just got to find them first!

No rubber tyres to paint so painted the rims in a dark rust then rubbed in gun metal pigment. Have done the same to the drive sprocket and areas of contact on the track. Still have to buff up the outer surface of the tracks.

Hope to get a whole lot done this week as the following weekend is going to be a bust. :(
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Excellent work Adam. Are you going to show bare metal on the inside sections of the tracks too (such as guide horns)?

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Yup, can't see it in the photos but the guide horns and the sections of track that contact the road wheels have been polished. Found my bricks and have crushed a couple and attached to the rear deck.
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Debris on back deck. Bricks are from Green Line and behave just like real bricks when you smash 'em :D

Have used CA to glue the bigger chunks and sand and gravel glue from Mig for the smaller bits.

Not sure what to do with the muzzle brake, thinking a smoke coloured pigment with gunmetal highlights.

Any thoughts?
Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Not sure I'd use metal highlights on the muzzel. Where would the wear come from?
Try using Tamiya Smoke thinned down and applied via an AB. Gives the effect of burnt powder but not to the extent of an engine exhaust.

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Very nice Adam :D

I agree with Gary, a thin dark shadow around the vent slits might be just enough, I did the same on mine. ;)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks guys. I've used thinned Tamiya smoke for exhaust staining on aircraft so I'll give it a crack!
Completed Campaigns: