Tamiya Type 1 Self Propelled Gun

2017 Self-Propelled Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Justin Wooding

Tamiya Type 1 Self Propelled Gun

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi chaps,

Ok, soooooooo, this SPG theme is one hell of a subject! :roll: Somehow my chosen kit gets through the screening process, thank goodness too, as i had my heart set on this for the build since SPG's were suggested :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, my entry will be the Tamiya Type 1 Self Propelled Gun. It's an older Tamiya kit and this one i have is a re-issue which includes Tamiya's Japanese Infantry. I really like the box art on this kit, and that's what attracted me the most 8-)

Some reading references for the type...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_1_Ho-Ni_I

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/j ... o-Ni-I.php

There is not much information on these and photographic references are few and far between. I did stumble upon a very useful walk around...

http://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/t ... alkaround/

Well, happy group building everyone :D
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Tamiya Type 1 Self Propelled Gun

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Well chosen Woody

Another Tamiya, shake and bake kit ;)

I am beginning to think Tamiya could have been a better choice for a GB :roll:

Figures too, Hornet do have some nice Asian heads, though Tamiya figures do occasionally scrub up well.

The box art gives you a ready made scenario, especially with your recent jungle experience ;)

Nice one

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Steve!

Thanks for dropping in :D

Yep, it's the typical Tamiya kit, pretty basic but good fit and with some care should turn out a neat model. I have ordered an Eduard photo etch set to add some finer detail. Mesh guards over the mufflers etc. Also got a set of Fruil tracks on the way. Too hard to get track sag from the kit band tracks :P

Figures are ok. I have seen worse and seen better. Again, a little touch up with a scapel blade should work wonders. I am going to figure bash a couple more poses from an extra Tamiya infantry set ;)
Woody...

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Good to see you jumping in Woody and what a great subject too. :D We don't see enough Japanese vehicles being built I reckon. Come to think of it, there aren't that many available. :?

Is that the kit you were looking at when I met you at the Swap n Sell?

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Yep, excellent choice :D

Fine Molds do a lot of great Japanese subjects, but they can be difficult to get outside Japan. I almost ordered a few kits directly from there, but then it turned out the seller won't offer combined shipping for several kits...

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Vincent

That's the one :) Yeah, a good mainstream manufacturer would do well to look at putting some new mold Japanese armour on the market.
Woody...

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hey Philipp, Finemolds do some nice stuff. You can find it, but you pay for it. Tamiya have released some of the Finemolds stuff under the Tamiya brand. The big Type 5 i have seen for over a hundred dollars. Would like to get one some time or another.
Woody...

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Some German shops have some of their stuff as well, and even reasonably priced for the most part. I really need to remember that next time I order something :lol:

Of course, the stuff I wanted to buy isn't available here....yet?

Philipp

PS: WOOHOO! 2500th post! :lol:
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Well, i was going to do some more last night, but it was just too hot i was too lazy, so i didn't get much done.

I did clean up a few marks on the inside of the glacis (?) plate that has the drivers viewing port. It's the only ejector pin marks i could find that needed cleaning up!

Also i made a start on improving the figures. Typical Tamiya, details are soft but adequate. Don't expect modern standards of molding here. Making the older Tamiya figures has to be approached as more of a trip down memory lane. This is what we had as kids and they were freaking awesome :D

First fella under the knife is the leading soldier crouching low. My goal here is to just define some of the softer molded features and improve the depth. Looks better and makes for easier painting. So webbing, collar, pockets belt and puttees were enhanced with the trusty No.11 blade.

Sleeves were also undercut. Tamiya thought to mold a watch on some of the figures. Nice touch and attention to detail Mr. Tamiya. The watch was also enhanced with some scribing.

One of the biggies was that the rear of the chin strap was molded flush with the face. It's a common thing on these older Tamiya figures. And the ears always look crap. So some substantial surgery was performed here with scribing and scraping of the face to define the chin strap and reshape the ears. I have seen modellers drill out the ear canal, not sure if i will do that yet. Some dark paint might fool the eye in this scale ;)

Facial features are not too bad :)

Note that there is a lot of plastic swarf from all the work. A brush over with some Extra Thin Tamiya Cement will make this disappear. Still more tidy up to do on this figure. The up close photos make everything look so rough. I can't see half of the imperfections with the Mk.1 eyeball. The photos definitely help in identifying problem areas though.

Maybe i need glasses :geek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody...

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Oh yeah, the tracks arrived from BNA today 8-)

Woody...