M109A6 Paladin

2017 Self-Propelled Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/17 - to 30/06/17. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: M109A6 Paladin

Post by Adam Durrant »

Olivier Carneau wrote:
Adam Durrant wrote:No chance to do any modelling today, weather was good so went wine tasting instead!
Waiting for a good weather to taste wine, you need to visit France :lol: :lol:
That's certainly on the bucket list Olivier :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Got some building done over the last day or so. I'm going a bit "Gary" on this one, apart from the main gun everything else is going to see a lots of PE. The Voyager set is a joy to work with so far, the parts are easy to work with and the PE frets come in several thicknesses of brass depending on the part being modelled. Also has a ton of extra clasps, weld seams etc. to go in the spares box at the end.

Main gun is all done, just a seam in the muzzle brake to fill, some wiring to the radar panel and a weld to model on the recoil tube. Main gun is made up of as many pieces as some models :D

Running gear is all done, the road wheels were a pain, 4 parts to each wheel with a lot of sanding to make them look the part. The idler needed lightening holes drilled in the circumference as well, this took some time and planning! The Hull tub was made up of 9 flat panels, despite that it comes together pretty square with only one little area of sanding to fit. I've done all the PE on the lower hull, pics to follow but basically the whole rear of the vehicle was sanded flat and replaced! Pics to follow when I finish the PE mud guards and springs.

Tracks are all done, they were a fiddle to assemble but one I was in a good rhythm they went together pretty quickly. They are fully workable, all thats left to do is distress the rubber track pads where they will be visible.

Should have the lower hull all finished by this weekend, all going well. The turret is where is going to take some time however as there is a ton of detail to add. :o

Also finally found some figures I like and they are in the post :D
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Looking good 8-)

Nice work on the idler, getting all the holes properly lined up must have been a pain.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Olivier Carneau

Post by Olivier Carneau »

Good job so far. The gun is impressive indeed.
I have the old Italeri one and I think I won't bother drilling the idler holes. But as you build the newer AFV gun, I understand you couldn't let these details missing. AFV could have designed the idler in multiple parts to create the holes.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Nice start Adam. You have quite the collection of accessory's for this one.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Good progress Adam. I like the look of this one. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Morning Adam

Both Gary by brass and pace of build too ;)

Not forgetting an eye for detail :D

Great progress :D

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Thanks guys. The idler was in two halves and there were some half assed attempts to replicate the holes with divots but they were too few looking at the reference photos. I filled with superglue, sanded them and they randomly selected a micro drill about the right size. Holes were spaced by constantly halving the space between them to get then even.

Working on the rear mudguards presently, 9 small parts per guard so a bit of a fiddle!

Thinking of starting my 38t build simultaneously as that one is going to be OOB. This will keep me sane! Just waiting for it to turn up in the post. :D
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Got a bit more done over the last couple of evenings. The lower hull is finished, the clear stickers on the nose are AFV Clubs attempt to replicate the antislip coating. According to Gary, who has built this kit, it looks pretty good once painted. Pity, I had already purchased a big packet of chinchilla dust!

The first bit of stowage is secured. I had to rebuild the articulations of the travel lock as they were pretty basic. The lockers on the rear hull are from the Voyager set. I won't be doing the same on the turret as the AFV ones are detailed enough. The wee locks either side of the rear door are fully workable as are the spades which I will eventually stow as the vehicle won't be in action in the diorama I have planned. It appears from the research I've done they only deploy the spades when firing max charge anyway.

The mud guards were a fiddle, but again are fully articulated, though I've glued them in the down position. The wee spring is made from fuse wire. I'm getting better with PE and am definitely less scared of it now :D

This is the start of the turret, the whole vehicle looks bare without a ton of stowage, I've just placed the main stowage piece from Legend to get a feel for it. This is about half of what I have planned.

Final pic is the base of the turret with the cannon installed and in the travel lock. This is how I plan to have it positioned.

I've given the main gun a coat of Chaos Black primer from Citadel as suggested by Philipp. I'm pretty happy with the primer, it gives a nice fine even coat that sticks well. I've filled and sanded the seams in the muzzle brake and the fume extractor. Wiring has been added to the guns radar but is not visible in the pic.

I've made up one of the two stowage baskets. They are a complete fiddle and the only place the Voyager PE has let me down. It is complete overkill to use it as most is hidden by the stowage, and the AFV kit parts are fine enough. The Voyager mesh was finer than the kit suppled PE, but didn't fit well and I had to trim it down.

Anyways, back to work proper as of Wed next week, not really a break this one as I worked on and off throughout. Should get a chunk of the turret done this week. Hopefully my order from BNA turns up soon as it has the crew in it...and a sheep :D
Completed Campaigns:

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Nice start Adam. It's going to be a busy looking model with all that stowage.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage