Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog 1973 (finished!!)

Build a classic kit (first issued before 1990) without modern aftermarket additions. Any subject, any scale. Campaign runs from 20/05/16 - to 01/07/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog 1973 (finished!!)

Post by Adam Durrant »

Spent some time at the model shop today. Settled on the M41 as my build, issued in 1973 by Tamiya. Most of the other, older kits, have had "up grades" that would make them ineligible for this build (PE sets, metal gun barrels included).

This kit is old, there are two sets of instructions, one in Japanese, one in english. The intro blurb at the start talks as thought he M41 is still in service but in the process of being replaced by the M551 Sheridan! Detail is fine, though a bit chunky, usual early Tamiya kit with cut outs for batteries and motor as well as open sponsons.

Should be a nice quick build! :D
News paper to authenticate build start for evidential purposes ;)
1973, the kit is older than I am.....but not by much :o
Last edited by Adam Durrant on 06 Jun 2016, 04:36, edited 3 times in total.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Re: Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog

Post by Adam Durrant »

Also pulled out these;

Bought these 30yrs ago when I started modelling. Considering they were published in 1980 and 1982 techniques in them are what I will stick to. No pigments no premixed washes or filters. Only Pastels, Oils and dry brushing!

I still reference these books, Shep Paine's scratch building was masterful, RIP.
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Well chosen Adam,

2 diamonds and a real old woofer 8-)

The books are worth a small fortune these days, you are to be envied having them on your shelf 8-)

You really are an early bird, blogging before I got up and switched on :o

Looks like you are getting a really good 70's line up ;)

You still have a model shop to visit :?:

That is a real treat in this day and age of the interweb :roll:

Finished photos tomorrow :?:

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Opps

got caffeinated and realised you are on the other side of the world :oops:

Not early, but late, I think :?

Still too early to be sensible, but great choice for the 70's retro build 8-)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Very nice choice Adam! :D

It's always surprising when the Tamiya figures are still actually quite decent and usable after 30+ years :mrgreen: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Well, after parental duties were complete for the evening and the boy and SWMBO were in front of the TV I got building. 6:30pm till 9:45pm and the kit is pretty much done. My eyes are sore so have had to stop. Just the lifting rings and tie downs on the turret to fit. Have left the commanders hatch off as not sure if it will be open or closed yet. The commanders .50cal is done but I'll drill out the barrel once my eyes recover! :D

The kit detail is pretty basic, just like the 1970s vintage Panzer II from Tamiya I built earlier this year to trial colour modulation on. Minimal flash and old lines so not a lot of clean up required. The kit only has 125 parts, 60 of those are the running gear. Pretty much falls together. I've gone OOB as you could lose yourself getting this one up to modern standard rebuilding everything! I may add some minor detailing but on this build I'm going to focus on the painting and weathering.
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Raoul Kunz wrote:Very nice choice Adam! :D

It's always surprising when the Tamiya figures are still actually quite decent and usable after 30+ years :mrgreen: .
I would agree Raoul, the commander figure is very nicely done. He's not in a very animated pose, standing stiffly in the turret, whilst his two infantry companions look to be in the heat of combat. They will go in the spares box, the tanker is going to be my first figure painting project :D
Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Good Lord - That WAS fast.

That's the gauntlet laid down :lol:

It doesn't look like a 70s kit from here

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

You know, that's a really good looking model, despite the age. Or probably because I have no clue how a real M41 looks :lol:

Well done Adam!

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Turret and barrel all done. The kit tiedowns/grab handles were cracked (42yr old plastic has proven to be a wee bit brittle!) so were replaced with ones fashioned from copper wire. The wire ones are also of a more accurate scale and design than the kit ones as well. Have drilled out the antenna bases, stretched spru to come! Also added the front lifting rings to the hull from copper wire as they are a glaring omission.

The commanders .50cal is an issue. Its basically a rectangular blob with a barrel sticking out of it. I've scribed some detail into it, drilled some holes in the jacket. May have to build some spade grips out of wire and card.

So, last shot before primer, kit is currently sitting on paper towels after a bath :D
Completed Campaigns: