Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog 1973 (finished!!)

Build a classic kit (first issued before 1990) without modern aftermarket additions. Any subject, any scale. Campaign runs from 20/05/16 - to 01/07/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Adam Durrant
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog

Post by Adam Durrant »

Primer on, Tamiya grey, straight out of the rattle can. Done a wee bit of "pre-shading" with black from the airbrush. You may note from the above shot the loaders periscope lacks any form of protection. Pics show a brush guard. Been having a frustrating time trying to solder one up out of brass.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Re: Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog 1971

Post by Adam Durrant »

Painted it initially in OD but felt this was way too dark for the reference photos I had. Repainted in Tamiya Olive Green with a little bit of modulation. Two coats of a home brewed brown filter to darken a bit and this is where we are at. Coat of gloss is next then decals. Thats all I'll get done before business trip so will have to wait till next Monday for further work!

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Looks great! :D
The modulation is spot on, mine are somehow always way too subtle and thus invisible on photos :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Great paint job Adam - should look fantastic with the Kiwi Kamo :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Well that was fast. Great work on the paint.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

I've abandoned the idea of a Kiwi M41. Was looking at reference photos and we had the A2 version which would mean rebuilding the engine deck, fenders and hatches. Also, as Kiwis, we love kit, so the NZ M41s were covered in extra stowage lockers. A bit beyond the terms of the build, so just going to be a very vanilla US Walker Bulldog!
Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Hi Adam,

I haven't been around here much of late. It's great to see a new member hooking into Plasticarmour and joining us :D

You are really doing this old Bulldog kit the justice it deserves. I think we are going to get some really nice builds out of these nostalgic old kits 8-)
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Got to agree with you Justin, these kits are a great starting point and if it wasn't for the constraints of the build we could really go to town on them. Hit my first real snag on this build, decals have yellowed after 40+ yrs in the box. Have put them on the window sill in direct sunlight as I understand this corrects the issue. If not I'll mask up some stars and hull numbers :?
Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Got to agree with you Justin, these kits are a great starting point and if it wasn't for the constraints of the build we could really go to town on them.
You're so right. I was struggeling with the impulse to go on a full scale AM induced spree the whole time, but remember that your years and years of kit painting will come to the rescue in the "looks" department :lol: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adam Durrant

Re: Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog 1973

Post by Adam Durrant »

Back from conference. Despite the bad weather in Auckland there has been enough uv light to bleach the decals out. Have applied them over a gloss coat and sucked em down with microset/microsol combo. Still really thick though. I suppose I've been spoilt by modern decals that are nice and thin and look "painted on" after a few coats of varnish. Not gunna happen here.

Any thoughts from the brain trust? I've read about lightly sanding then, is this safe?
Completed Campaigns: