The 70's Retro Group Build!

Build a classic kit (first issued before 1990) without modern aftermarket additions. Any subject, any scale. Campaign runs from 20/05/16 - to 01/07/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

The 70's Retro Group Build!

Post by Philipp Gross »

Hi everyone,

With summer around the corner modelling usually tends to slow down a fair bit. To counteract, here's a humble suggestion for a small but hopefully fun group build. Full credits for this idea go to John, who suggested it numerous times.

Here's the idea:

Take a classic kit, build it as it is and be happy. It's that simple. No aftermarktet, just what you find in the box and scavenge from standard household materials; only things what would have been available 30 years ago. I suggest kits that were released not after 1985, but the exact year is, like anything else, still up for debate. It's all about going back to the roots, either retracing your personal first steps or the "dark ages" of the hobby itself, drybrushing included. :lol:

Overall running time would be 4-6 weeks, then it's back to modern times with armoured cars and towed guns. :mrgreen: After all, none of us spent several months building a single kit when we started, right? :?

My suggested running time would be next Friday, May 20th, until July 1st, also a Friday.

A few people already voiced their support when I suggested this in private. If you're interested, if you hate it, if you know something much better, please voice your opinion. Of course, any other suggestion is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Re: The 70's Retro Group Build!

Post by Matt Parvis »

I know of one kit that I have that fits the description, but, it'll take too long and not really be in the spirit of this GB, so, I'll have to take a look at the stash when I get home to see what I've got.

Do modern re-boxed count?

Matt

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Matt Parvis wrote:I know of one kit that I have that fits the description, but, it'll take too long and not really be in the spirit of this GB, so, I'll have to take a look at the stash when I get home to see what I've got.

Do modern re-boxed count?

Matt
Definitely reboxed too ;)

We don't want anyone to spend a fortune on a mint condition 70s edition box :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

I'm in Philipp :D

I suspect it'll be an RAF Rescue Launch - no surprise there then.....but there is this kit hat I always hankered after...........

Tee hee :lol:

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I should mention I'm in as well, but I've yet to decide if it's the Tamiya Stug IV or the Italeri Crusader Mk III....in the end probably both :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

What the heck!

I have the 1971 Tamiya Panzer II G on its way from Amazon, £8.41 inc P&P,

and just a 1 day build to boot too, to get into the spirit of 1970' modelling, for me as a pre teen modeler!

Who else will have a go, if they are game?

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Just ordered something off Ebay, won't be here until next week though.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Yes!

Despite the 900 other things I've got going, and since I have this kit in the stash, I'll put it together in a single day, paint it in another day, and weather it on the third day.

That's probably old enough to qualify.

Once the G.B. begins, I'll plan to assemble and weather it in a hotel room. But painting will need to happen in the shop at home.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Here's my entry, Tamiya's StuG IV:

It's not the first time I build this, way back in early 2008 I made my first one, after Raoul gave it to me as a Christmas present in 2007. It has since been cannibalized for spare parts...

Back then I added individual track links, etched Zimmerit (...oh the humanity... :roll: ) and modified some parts to get a mid version, including the Rundumfeuer MG and flame-dampening exhausts, fashioned from drinking straws. And then I kinda ruined it with waaaay too much mud :lol:

My new attempt will get Zimmerit too, but I'll try some more unorthodox methods. If these fail, it's back to Milliput, which was invented in 1968 and is therefore fair game :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

I'm in, just spent a week bending, soldering and gluing my fingers to PE on the Sd.Kfz 222 build, keen to do a quick OOB build. Looks like a trip to the model shop tomorrow! :D
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage