Pak 35/36, Sd. Kfz 7 late and Pak 43/41

2016 Towed Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/16 - to 31/12/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Pak 35/36, Sd. Kfz 7 late and Pak 43/41

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Good day chaps

The soldering has slowed up, with the T34, so for a change of pace, I thought I would try this little one.

So, better late than never, here is a starter for 10, this is what I have been pottering with recently, Shawn :roll:

Gratuitous photos of the very old Tamiya Pak 35/36

The figures will be on e-bay for 99p, soon!

I have the Eduard PE set, and a RB barrel too, and thought it would be another soldering exercise, oh how wrong was I :shock: :o :evil:
The PE set and distructions, already colour coded for replacements

I had already reviewed the issues of the Eduard (nickel?) coating and its impact on solder, so filing and scrapping off the coating was the first order of business, but as there were few parts that didn't involve some plastic, there weren't too many opportunities to try soldering Eduard together.

The spades allowed some metal to metal soldering with 8 pieces each.

So I cleaned up the iron, as recommended and changes the head as the old one was getting used up,
Then I tried and tried and tried, but it just would not *!++@y solder the bits :evil:

I will have to re assemble the iron, with the old tip, back to as it was and go back to Square 1 again, once it is removed from the cupboard of frustration :evil:

I even took the little Pak to work, as I have already scribbed, assembled and re headed 5 sets of figures at work, all for future or current builds, but rather a lot of figures to be painted :roll:

Anyway to cut a long and frustrating story short, the Eduard was super-glued together after cleaning off all the solder flooding, and there were plenty of room for scratching all the pieces that went missing too :roll:

Before surgery
After
Eduard enhancements and a new barrel and some additional scratch too

More soon :?: ;)

Steve H
Last edited by Steve Hutchinson on 31 Mar 2016, 09:33, edited 4 times in total.
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Pak 35/36

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice start Steve!

Yeah, the coating on the Eduard PE seems to be a problem...On the other hand it's probably an advantage for superglue-wielding pyrophobians like me :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Looking good Steve. Those guns are tiny aren't they. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Steve - I f I didn't know better - I'd guess you'd been hanging out on a modelling site with Gary Boxall :o

Seriously impressive 8-)

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Glorious Steve! :D
And there I was thinking that the Dragon (251-mounted) Pak36 was already a challenge detail-wise :lol: .
And you've gotta love the aggressively helpful Panzer officer of the Tamiya instructions :lol: .
Eventually this will be mostly soldered kit, won't it? ;)

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Great work Steve -- looking good :)
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

You are really making all this PE stuff look easy. Well done.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Thank you gentlemen, as ever very much appreciated

Philipp, this has been a solely CE gig as the solder would not do the job :evil:
I have a wide range of CE from very liquid to gluppy, which is not a chemical term :lol:
I guess you had similar experiences with your Pak 35?

Thanks Vincent
De ja vue? :lol: same guts just different barrel and wheels, I love the cross over with the early Russian artillery,
though this one will be a well battered Panzer Grey, IF everything works out ;)

Thanks Rob
Guilty as charged ;) a Drawer full of brass, copper, fuse, lead and plastic rods and wire along will every and anything else that could be useful.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I am a mile away from Gary, but he is a serious inspiration, buying resin cottage industry conversions and then completely rebuilding them from scratch, his Churchill Oke for instance 8-)

Thanks Raoul,
Sadly no solder, other than the bits I couldn't file, scrape, or otherwise remove, I think it has coincided with my cleaning and changing the solder tip,
combined with the solder proof nickel coated Eduard PE, even after scraping and filing the spade pieces, they would not stick just flooded with solder :evil:
At least the Tamiya instructions take you in the right direction,if somewhat forcefully :lol: unlike Dragon :roll:

Thanks Ian, good to see you back at the bench too, nice work on the FSH 18, I am looking forward to your work on the carriage,
as I have something similar coming up very soon ;)

Thanks Shawn, I really do enjoy doing PE along with figures and heads especially, but it is a "mood" thing, and I am not always in the "mood" or "zone" sadly
but I seem to have found a solid vein of positive "mood" as I have nearly finished the 1st set of figures for the T-34 build too ;)
Your Kettenkrad figure is from the SBS?

This is as close as I can get before primer and paint, it is too small to try and paint with the shield attached, there are still some bits to attach, the inner shield stanchions and changing the wheel hubs as the tamiya ones are tapered but my photo reference shows them straight, I have changed the tread on one wheel to match the reference too ;)

Running repairs :oops:
getting everything as level as possible, using whatever is on the bench :roll: :lol:

More soon :?:

Steve H
Last edited by Steve Hutchinson on 11 Mar 2016, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Steve Hutchinson wrote: Philipp, this has been a solely CE gig as the solder would not do the job :evil:
I have a wide range of CE from very liquid to gluppy, which is not a chemical term :lol:
I guess you had similar experiences with your Pak 35?
My last Pak 36 was the one by Zvezda and didn't use any photoetch, just a metal barrel. But I've had that experience with Eduard etch since when I first used one of their sets. As I said, since I'm still not taking the risk of setting the house on fire with the soldering iron I'll stick to glue :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

I love the ingenuity you used to get the Pak level Steve. :lol: You are very resourcefull :D

Vincent
Completed Campaigns: