Sd.Kfz.11 (late) towing leFH 18

2016 Towed Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/16 - to 31/12/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Sd.Kfz.11 (late) towing leFH 18

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Nice work Ian

It is the AFV , Sd.Kfz II isn't it?

it seems there will be a rash of 11's soon, as I have the Trumpeter in the wings waiting to join the GB, along with Rob's II too?

Very nice progress ;)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Hi Rob, Vincent, Steve, thanks for looking in!

Steve, yes, it is the AFV Club kit. Despite my grumblings it is actually a really well engineered kit - the part fit so far has been excellent.

Looking forward to seeing more 11s on the build!
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

The resin wheel replacements arrived and they are very nice with some great detail, including a tiny valve:

That said, they are a little larger than the kit parts, but they do fit OK

Step 11 constructs the cab's handbrake / gear shift

Next up is the construction of the cab. There are 5 key parts with some further details to add inside

Unfortunately the details are a little light. I'll try and some details to the inside of the cab front as there is not much details there. I'll also want to do something with the wipers as they are not great.

I'll also need to figure something out for the dials - I'm thinking of drilling out the details and printing out replacements to fix behind. I'll ponder this a bit!

Cheers

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

The resin wheels are really nice.

Just paint the dials. Not much will be seen once everything is together anyways.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Hi Shawn,
Shawn Ramsey wrote:Just paint the dials. Not much will be seen once everything is together anyways.
Yeah, I think you may be right! I had a go at scanning in the dash from the instructions and manually colouring the details. It looked fine at 3x the size but when shrunk down to actually needed size it was just a blurred mess! :evil:

Anyway, while I continue to ponder that it was on with the build. I had to spend a lot of time sanding and test fitting the cab front - it was just refusing to sit flush with the chassis. I had a look around the internet and this is a common problem and solved by carefully removing the base until it sits flush. Once I was happy with the fit I added the rest of the details to the cab front, then masked off the connecting edges of the rest of the cab pieces, primed and sprayed with LifeColor Dunkelgelb:

While putting the details to the chassis I noticed the foot pedals on Sprue A which were not called out on the instructions, so these were added. I also started looking ahead on the build and noticed that the construction of the flatbed referenced a whole bunch of pieces that were not on sprues (see right back at the beginning). The instructions called out for parts from Spure M, while the spure map at the end of the instructions identified Spure W. The parts are the same, but the instructions are way off! Luckily it is not too difficult to match the parts to the instructions.

Anyway, while I fussed on that I decided to see what to do about the tracks. I had been given some Dragon Sd.Kfz.251/D links, but was warned they may not fit. Before breaking into the AFV Club links I decided to give the Dragon links a go. I built a simple jig for the links and carefully added a few links together.

With careful application of glue you can make these workable, so the next check was to see how it fitted on the drive sprocket:

and happy to say it fits fine! Only another 120 links to go :o :lol: