Universal carrier MkII with 6pdr

2016 Towed Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/16 - to 31/12/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Universal carrier MkII with 6pdr

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Stunning interior Vlad! :D

Especially the ton of detailed "mini-builds" all in themselves!

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote:I'm having considerations as to continuing blogging and posting, its only worth while if there is any interaction, guilty on that count as I'm all over the shop at the moment and frequently forget to respond. Maybe its just time to move on? try and finish these first though eh
Sorry for not commenting sooner. For all intents and purposes I probably forgot. Or got it mixed up with one of the other 6 pounder builds...my bad :?

Please don't assume any ill will because of that. We all love to see your fantastic work and certainly don't want to lose you because of some misunderstanding.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Chris Smith wrote:What did you use for the dusty wash? That's something I still can't seem to get right.

Chris
My thoughts exactly. Great progress Vladness. Keeping the front off is genius - I hadn't thought of that (just so long as it fits - It will ;) )

The build tolerances are fine for Riich and Bronco. Are the fire extinguishers green or aged brass? Either way - they look Da Biz 8-)

Cracking work

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Great work Vlad

Always good to see your work, it is inspiring and usually something very cool too.

You have many irons in many fires and probably as many monkeys on your back with health and work and life too,

It would be a tragedy not to see your work, I would really love to see your Napoleonic ships too.

I hope you can continue to share, but if it is too much, we would all always respect your choices.

Great work and I am sure you will beat the glacis into line soonest

Great work Vlad

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

These little Carriers are packed with so much detail. I really like what you have done so far Vlad. It's a real masterpiece. :)

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Man these little Universal Carriers are crammed packed with details. Really nice work here Vlad, all you guys are showing me up. I need to get off my A** and get to work.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

Chris Smith wrote:What did you use for the dusty wash? That's something I still can't seem to get right.

Chris
I can answer both your and Robs question here, this is the range of products I have used just in the cab

The AK light dust deposit is what I have found useful, It seems to simulate a light dust that accumulates against edges etc quite well, it puddles on initially, but can be blended back with a damp white spirit paint brush, catch it right and you can use it for streaks too, I've started practising blending two or more of these effects to try and simulate differing effects. Some work,.... others not so much
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Raoul Kunz wrote:Stunning interior Vlad! :D

Especially the ton of detailed "mini-builds" all in themselves!

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Thank you Raoul, :) I'm really trying to work on my finishing techniques, mainly to try and achieve something I'm happy with, then I can get all of my other projects finished!!
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Philipp Gross wrote:
Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote:I'm having considerations as to continuing blogging and posting, its only worth while if there is any interaction, guilty on that count as I'm all over the shop at the moment and frequently forget to respond. Maybe its just time to move on? try and finish these first though eh
Sorry for not commenting sooner. For all intents and purposes I probably forgot. Or got it mixed up with one of the other 6 pounder builds...my bad :?

Please don't assume any ill will because of that. We all love to see your fantastic work and certainly don't want to lose you because of some misunderstanding.

Philipp
No assumptions of ill will were made :D
I find that there is a distinct lack of traffic on the site and those that do use don't always interact, I'm just as guilty and would be the first to say so. I feel forums should be not only a place to show your work and get your ego stroked but also a place to learn through discussion, I like to receive suggestions on how I can improve (completing projects more timely is one way :lol: ) painting and finishing for example is an arcane art for me and something I struggle with, which is why most of my projects stall at this hurdle.
We on this forum have shared our builds and sometimes our lives away from the hobby for quite some years now and friendships have been born, so how about we get away from the platitudes a little, as we all know we are the puppies undercarriage :lol: :lol: :lol: and challenge each other a little more, apart from Gary who seem to be super human :lol: 8-)

If I'm talking arse please say :roll:
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Rob Matthews wrote:

Chris
My thoughts exactly. Great progress Vladness. Keeping the front off is genius - I hadn't thought of that (just so long as it fits - It will ;) )

The build tolerances are fine for Riich and Bronco. Are the fire extinguishers green or aged brass? Either way - they look Da Biz 8-)

Cracking work

Rob
See previous reply re dust :D

The Pyrene extinguisher seemed to be brass bodied .............. but ....... a quick google showed they came in green also, I figured this being an open topped vehicle you wouldn't want a nice shiny brass heliograph glinting in the sunlight marking your position, so went with the green option. apparently they were painted by all vehicle crews if they arrived in brass.

I hear ya re tolerances, it took me an hour and a half to get the front glacis assembly to mate correctly, my fenders were out of flat (twisted) and the front armour was
slightly off but with a bit of cussing and walking away for 10 minutes its now in place. just a few areas that need some remedial work now :(
Completed Campaigns: