Universal carrier MkII with 6pdr

2016 Towed Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/16 - to 31/12/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Re: Universal carrier MkII with 6pdr

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

Steve Hutchinson wrote:Great work Vlad

Always good to see your work, it is inspiring and usually something very cool too.

You have many irons in many fires and probably as many monkeys on your back with health and work and life too,

It would be a tragedy not to see your work, I would really love to see your Napoleonic ships too.

I hope you can continue to share, but if it is too much, we would all always respect your choices.

Great work and I am sure you will beat the glacis into line soonest

Great work Vlad

Steve H
Thanks Steve, health is up and down, the medication I was given caused more harm than good so that went!! :) but working through it so hopefully I can start looking for work again soon. This would be good as money is non existent and there are projects to be bought!!

I would miss the forum and you guys so I may not drop it altogether, but I'm certainly trying to spend less time online. I seem to get stuff done!
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Vincent Power wrote:These little Carriers are packed with so much detail. I really like what you have done so far Vlad. It's a real masterpiece. :)

Vincent
Thanks Vincent, they really are the bees knees, everything is there! if you don't mind nano modelling you should give one a try!
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Shawn Ramsey wrote:Man these little Universal Carriers are crammed packed with details. Really nice work here Vlad, all you guys are showing me up. I need to get off my A** and get to work.

Shawn
Shawn the amount of hours you work, I think you can be excused :D
Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote: No assumptions of ill will were made :D
I find that there is a distinct lack of traffic on the site and those that do use don't always interact, I'm just as guilty and would be the first to say so. I feel forums should be not only a place to show your work and get your ego stroked but also a place to learn through discussion, I like to receive suggestions on how I can improve (completing projects more timely is one way :lol: ) painting and finishing for example is an arcane art for me and something I struggle with, which is why most of my projects stall at this hurdle.
We on this forum have shared our builds and sometimes our lives away from the hobby for quite some years now and friendships have been born, so how about we get away from the platitudes a little, as we all know we are the puppies undercarriage :lol: :lol: :lol: and challenge each other a little more, apart from Gary who seem to be super human :lol: 8-)

If I'm talking arse please say :roll:
I'm glad to hear that :)

You know, all of us here work on an incredibly high level, so it's really hard to suggest anything useful. All that's left is staring in awe, and as far as I'm concerned that's a heartfelt sentiment :) I'm German, acting polite for politeness' sake is utterly unthinkable for us :lol:

To be honest I would have never guessed you have any trouble with painting and weathering. Your 25 pounder for example turned out extremely well. If there's anything you need help with, just ask and we'll gladly help by any means possible!

I fully agree that real discussions have become quite rare. Probably because we've adopted a routine, just like any family would. I think we should all work together to break up that routine a little :)

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Vincent Power »

Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote:
Chris Smith wrote:What did you use for the dusty wash? That's something I still can't seem to get right.

Chris
I can answer both your and Robs question here, this is the range of products I have used just in the cab

The AK light dust deposit is what I have found useful, It seems to simulate a light dust that accumulates against edges etc quite well, it puddles on initially, but can be blended back with a damp white spirit paint brush, catch it right and you can use it for streaks too, I've started practising blending two or more of these effects to try and simulate differing effects. Some work,.... others not so much
I had to laugh when I saw the Khaki colours Vlad. It reminded me of when I was looking to paint the interior of my Jeep in the GB. I thought Khaki was one colour. :shock: :oops: How stupid was I. :lol:
The Dust effects do look nice and it's quite simple to apply which is a good thing. I've found that waiting for one lot of effects to dry completely before applying the next on top of it works best for me. Of course I may well have completely misunderstood what you meant. :lol: Either way, I like what you have done so far. ;)

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Shawn Ramsey wrote:Man these little Universal Carriers are crammed packed with details. Really nice work here Vlad, all you guys are showing me up. I need to get off my A** and get to work.

Shawn

I really have no excuse not to move forward. I work I fair amount of hours but it is not always like of the shifts I talk about. My normal schedule is 24 hrs on then 48 hrs off. Only 10 days a month. But then I have a part time job as well that takes up more time. I've had 3 days recently I could have built models but I just did not.

I finally did some figure painting for about 3 hours yesterday, but 3 hours for me only resulted in finishing two uniform shirts and one pair of pants. :roll: :roll: I need to find a happy medium for me when it comes to painting. I spend way to much time on the figures.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Shawn Ramsey wrote: I spend way to much time on the figures.Shawn
I feel your pain and frustration, I had a quick count and I have 50 being painted and 30 more being scribed and assembled,

I have a problem, I am a figureholic!!!

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Philipp Gross wrote:
Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote: No assumptions of ill will were made :D
I find that there is a distinct lack of traffic on the site and those that do use don't always interact, I'm just as guilty and would be the first to say so. I feel forums should be not only a place to show your work and get your ego stroked but also a place to learn through discussion, I like to receive suggestions on how I can improve (completing projects more timely is one way :lol: ) painting and finishing for example is an arcane art for me and something I struggle with, which is why most of my projects stall at this hurdle.
We on this forum have shared our builds and sometimes our lives away from the hobby for quite some years now and friendships have been born, so how about we get away from the platitudes a little, as we all know we are the puppies undercarriage :lol: :lol: :lol: and challenge each other a little more, apart from Gary who seem to be super human :lol: 8-)

If I'm talking arse please say :roll:
I'm glad to hear that :)

:D :D

You know, all of us here work on an incredibly high level, so it's really hard to suggest anything useful. All that's left is staring in awe, and as far as I'm concerned that's a heartfelt sentiment :) I'm German, acting polite for politeness' sake is utterly unthinkable for us :lol:

please don't think I was advocating rudeness, sometimes another's eyes will see something our own frequently miss, I also tend to be too polite for my own good sometimes

To be honest I would have never guessed you have any trouble with painting and weathering. Your 25 pounder for example turned out extremely well. If there's anything you need help with, just ask and we'll gladly help by any means possible!

still working on that bad boy, lots could still go wrong :lol:

I fully agree that real discussions have become quite rare. Probably because we've adopted a routine, just like any family would. I think we should all work together to break up that routine a little :)

Agreed, but I think its already begun

Philipp
You covered a few points so I thought this the easier way of addressing them, and it looks purdy
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Vincent Power wrote:
Chris Smith wrote:What did you use for the dusty wash? That's something I still can't seem to get right.

Chris
I can answer both your and Robs question here, this is the range of products I have used just in the cab

The AK light dust deposit is what I have found useful, It seems to simulate a light dust that accumulates against edges etc quite well, it puddles on initially, but can be blended back with a damp white spirit paint brush, catch it right and you can use it for streaks too, I've started practising blending two or more of these effects to try and simulate differing effects. Some work,.... others not so much
I had to laugh when I saw the Khaki colours Vlad. It reminded me of when I was looking to paint the interior of my Jeep in the GB. I thought Khaki was one colour. :shock: :oops: How stupid was I. :lol:
The Dust effects do look nice and it's quite simple to apply which is a good thing. I've found that waiting for one lot of effects to dry completely before applying the next on top of it works best for me. Of course I may well have completely misunderstood what you meant. :lol: Either way, I like what you have done so far. ;)

Cheers,
Vincent
Its effects like oily dust for example. You tend to see it on machines that are exposed to hard work and quick maintenance repairs, a quick clean and a lubricate, subsequently dust sticks to it, that's the sort of combination I was talking of, hope I've explained it ok?
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Shawn Ramsey wrote:

Shawn

I really have no excuse not to move forward. I work I fair amount of hours but it is not always like of the shifts I talk about. My normal schedule is 24 hrs on then 48 hrs off. Only 10 days a month. But then I have a part time job as well that takes up more time. I've had 3 days recently I could have built models but I just did not.

I finally did some figure painting for about 3 hours yesterday, but 3 hours for me only resulted in finishing two uniform shirts and one pair of pants. :roll: :roll: I need to find a happy medium for me when it comes to painting. I spend way to much time on the figures.

Shawn
So you have no excuse!! :D get to it that man!!! :lol: :lol:
Completed Campaigns: