Universal carrier MkII with 6pdr

2016 Towed Artillery Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/16 - to 31/12/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Re: Universal carrier MkII with 6pdr

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

Gents, apologies for the lack of updates. I got myself roped into setting up a new period at the wargames club, Napoleonic naval :D quite a blast :lol:

Anyway I left this just before updating the suspension assembly, as Rob said 'its a breeze' and a real pleasure to build.

The tracks are also a walk in the park, link and length, and super fine and quite flexible.

I also found there was one link too many on either side, simples, leave one out! far easier this way round!

Next is fenders and rear plate, and the first components to the very complex drivers compartment

And that was where I had gotten myself too before painting two fleets etc got in the way :lol:
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

So I resumed this build on Tuesday, and haven't taken too many photos :oops: my bad!

I've been plodding through the instructions populating the rear compartment and also the drivers compartment. Also threw some paint on the Ford V8 flathead, google throws up a range of colours, I was quite taken with the metallic green/turquoise, so a little painting practice, applied some washes but built them up whilst wet to see what would happen........ kinda works :) its all hidden away :roll:

I then gave the rear compartment and engine hood a coat of Lifecolor khaki drab.

And then made it all disappear!!! sadly no photo of this stage, or indeed of the next few stages, kinda got immersed in the build............ but that seat assembly....... um ....yeah........

Some special kind of sadism in the design of that thing, right with you Rob its a tricky beast!! but we prevailed!! :D

and finished the drivers compartment, well lower levels anyhow.

and the rear

So that brings me right up to date!! a good sitting over the long weekend should see this build completed and ready for paint and the 6pdr on the bench, fingers crossed!!
Completed Campaigns:

Steve Hutchinson
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Very nice Vlad;)

Very nice indeed

Love the engine, it looks great, I have a Maybach on the bench which would benefit from TLC like yours ;)

Hope the weekend goes well with paint and the 6lb er 8-)

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Most impressive! All these tiny particles.... :shock:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Lovely work Vlad - it's coming along very nicely

It's just such a pleasing shaped vehicle

In the future I'm just sticking those front seats down onto a piece of plastic which I think was john's original suggestion - The etch is Nuts :roll:

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Vlad- Glad to have you back. Great work on this little kit. I like how the tracks look and great work on the engine painting.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Hmm Nice :D

I love the engine. I think I'll use the piece of tube under the seat method when I get around to mine. ;)

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

:lol: :lol: :lol: I am amused at all the abject cowardice on display here, its only a bit of photoetch, with no markings or plan of how to fold it!! :D

ehem back to business

Sadly last weekend didn't go to plan, but I'm catching up slowly!

Lots of twiddy details added and the forward compartment has received colour in readiness for closing it in.

shown here with all the small arms dry fitted

rear view

and ready for weathering

once she is closed up I can add the few bits of etch to the exterior and into the paint shop proper

In the meantime I have begun more nano modelling in the form of the 6 pdr

My esteemed colleague has some cracking pictures ere http://www.plasticarmour.com/phpBB3/vie ... f=58&t=999

But I will take some soon, when I'm having less fun :D
Completed Campaigns:

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

I'm having considerations as to continuing blogging and posting, its only worth while if there is any interaction, guilty on that count as I'm all over the shop at the moment and frequently forget to respond. Maybe its just time to move on? try and finish these first though eh

Here's where I got myself too with the 6 pdr

Nice kit that goes together well, although far more flash and fluffyness to the castings than the carrier.

talking of which, weathered the interior, dark wash to pick out the details followed by a dusty wash, and then spots of 'oil' added to the linkages

Currently doing battle with the glacis plate, for some reason mine is not sitting in properly and subsequently the vertical armour is not sitting flush :? I've probably screwed it up somewhere!
Completed Campaigns:

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

What did you use for the dusty wash? That's something I still can't seem to get right.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage