Sd.Kfz. 231: Fall Weiß

2016 Armoured Car Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/16 - to 31/12/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Raoul Kunz
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Sd.Kfz. 231: Fall Weiß

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks guys! :D

And now for the paint job!
I used mig colours, the cool ones that come with a steel bearing in the bottle to keep them mixed and properly flowing - I really like them! :D

I hope it's visible, but I went through several stages from dark to bright on exposed areas on top of the vehicle both in grey(s) and with brown - screwed up a bit in the end when I was to lazy to mask the rest of the vehicle when spraying the barrles, but it will eventually work out... =>

No worries if it looks somewhat bright - the IV D looked the same initially - they oils will tone it down considerably ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

And now for something completely different: let's build a clock made by Plusmodel!
(without any mechanics... I'm not that much of an engineer :lol: )

By virtue of it's double eagle it's either a clock installed in Congress Poland (Russian part between 1815 and 1915) or Galicia ( K.u.K. part of south eastern Poland - though that's not all that likely).
Given that German operations took place in the western part of the Second Polish Republic (at this point a military dictatorship in anything but name) and extended east no further than the river Bug it's more likely a clock representing Imperial Russia ;) .

It comes with a beautiful etched Roman clock face with separate etched hands to give maximum flexibility - as we see it's 5 minutes past three (obviously PM ;) ).

The clock face is installed behind three "glasses" made of clear resin =>

In short: a very nice little piece. :D

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Adam Durrant

Post by Adam Durrant »

Looking good Raoul.
I'm a serial kit starter....
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

That is a really nice piece Raoul.

How did you paint the numbers? Or, did you de-paint them?

Matt

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Right on the money! I "de-painted" them: ' went over the numbers lightly with a scalpel and thus essentially "uncovered" them again after spraying the white for the clock face - same for the hands ;) .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Justin Wooding

Post by Justin Wooding »

Very nice construction work Raoul. Those RB gun barrels look very nice!

AFV Club kits are very nice. Lots of small parts but the detail is always good and quite accurate.
Woody...

Trying hard to do some modeling!

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Thanks Justin! :D

Now it's time to start the detail work - first a armoured car designator, which (of course) is combined with the mobility designator (wheels). It has a small flag designating it as a reconnaissance asset.
I used Stencilit etched masks to assemble the designator =>
I also added German "full" mono colour crosses as used in the Polish campaign.

Now with tires! :lol: The possibility to pose every one of the four axles separately has to be onw of the cooler features of the 231 (8-wheel) :mrgreen: =>

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Now with oil treatment, dust and grime ;) =>
There's still some minor things to add to the kit (shovels, pick, axe, one AM resin item - oh and when it's completely dry another coat of dull varnish) but I'm pretty much done :mrgreen: .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns:

Matt Parvis
Site Contributor..
Site Contributor..

Post by Matt Parvis »

Raoul, looks really nice from where I am sitting. I really like the mud on the wheels, it actually looks like dirty and nasty mud, not like the too clean mud (if that makes any sense :? ) you sometimes see on builds. Like mine at times. :oops:

One small thing you might consider, would be to add some chipping with a sponge around the areas that you already have chipping. I can't remember which build of mine it was, but, adding small "chips" around the larger areas is something that Jurgen pointed out to me a while back. For a real life example of the look I am talking about there is this:

In the lower right corner, the paint is pretty much all gone and then moving away from it there are smaller scratches/chips that sort of blend the bare area into where the paint remains. If you decide to add any, just be careful not to do what I did and add way too much. :oops:

For modelling, this is an excellent example of what I am referencing from Shawn's PzIII build:

As ever, this in only a suggestion from someone who is several thousand miles away, so, feel free to ignore me completely.

Matt

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

As ever, this in only a suggestion from someone who is several thousand miles away, so, feel free to ignore me completely.
Why? Why should I ignore solid advice? I'm not above criticism, especially if it's something I overlooked or simply did not consider? It actually helps! It's essentially why I post my builds - I'm not upset if I get criticism, criticism is the whole point, it's not about adoration ;) :D !
I think I'll break out a sponge and use it to do the minor scratches :D .

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz

Completed Campaigns: