M1131 FSV Stryker kitbash

2016 Armoured Car Group Build. Campaign runs from 01/01/16 - to 31/12/16. Campaign medals awarded for models completed within those dates.
Chris Smith
Senior Site Contributor.....

M1131 FSV Stryker kitbash

Post by Chris Smith »

The M1131 Fire Support Vehicle is fitted with a large thermal sight on a powered cupola with a laser designator. It is used at the Company level and acts as the Forward Observation Officers vehicle allowing him to speak on 4 different radio nets. So far the only kit released of this version is from Trumpeter.

I got this kit for Easter 2010 as I started to get the Stryker bug. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you see it I then found out about the dimensional problems with it.

The hull is 5mm shorter than the AFV Club one which matches the drawings I have for the Stryker. The hull of the Trumpeter kit is also about 5mm wider across the top.

As this has been sitting around for 6 years and in that time I've built up a stock of AFV Club kits to use as donors I thought I would have a go at kitbashing the Trumpeter parts onto the AFV Club hull. In this case I used the M1130 kit. First thing to do was remove the roof leaving the rear section with the air sentry hatches.

Then scratch a replacement, here still a WIP.

I then cut the cupola mount out of the Trumpeter roof and added it to the scratched one. The periscopes are going to have AFV Clubs stickers which replicate the laser reflecting sufaces so I didn't need the clear parts from the AFV kit, I carefully removed them from the Trumpeter one and glued them in place. Then it was a case of adding the details from both kits, this is where I have got to, definitely still a way to go.

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: M1131 FSV Stryker kitbash

Post by Philipp Gross »

I can't say I have any idea what it is you are building but it sure looks good :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

I'll happily follow along Chris. :) I like what you have done so far.

Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Philipp,

think along the lines of Artillerie Beobachtungswagen but instead of a pair of binos and a map they have a thermal sight with intergrated laser rangefinder and a laser designator to guide smart munitions and the ability to share digitally any information they have with any other Stryker in the Battalion and Company while able to talk on four different radio nets at the same time without having to change settings on the radios ;)

Made some good progress over the weekend.

The mast of the crane needs changing, just waiting for the right size tube to arrive. The fit of the sight to the cupola is pretty loose which is annoying, I'll have to glue it in place when it's ready and the .50 mount isn't great, I may change that for a Live Resin one if I can find one. There are a few small bits still to add such as jerrycans and mirrors but otherwise pretty much done. I have a set of resin wheels which I'll leave off for painting.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Thanks for the explanation :D

Looks quite impressive already!

PHilipp
Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Looks Very Impressive already.

Great to see a Stryker being built again Chris. They were all the rage a few years ago ;)

Very Nice work

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

With the build complete I primed and base coated this in Ammo Nato green over the weekend.

I still need to assemble the Live resin .50 but as it's pretty delicate I am going to wait until the end to add it. Details and decals next.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Decals added and most of the details painted.

It's marked as a vehicle from 2nd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment in 2007 on predeployment training.

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Another one almost finished already Chris. How do you find the time :?:

Like Philipp said its not my thing either but it sure looks great. Nice scratch building the top there.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

That was quick :shock:

Well done - always a pleasure to see modern vehicles in anything else than desert colours :mrgreen:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns: