Sherman Based Vehicles

Group Builds no longer eligible for campaign medals but which participants can still update. No new entries accepted into these builds.
Steve Reid
Senior Moderator

Sherman Based Vehicles

Post by Steve Reid »

Start the Group Build here on August 30th, 2014. End it here on January 31st, 2015

Any Vehicle with a Sherman Suspension.

Start time is 00:01 am local time where you live.

Steve

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Re: Sherman Based Vehicles

Post by Gary Boxall »

Something a little more colourful this time round for me....

From what I understand, this was used as an artillery observation vehicle post-WW2 in Germany during training exercises. It uses an M4A3E8 hull with a Firefly turret. So, I'm using this as the base kit....

The firefly turret will be from the spares box and I'll also be adding some AFV Club T-84 tracks.

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

I guess the time has come then...

My project is not a US Paper Panzer - it did exist. Of course there is no known picture of it....yet. I'm sure one will surface the moment I finish my build, just to prove how much wrong I am with everything :lol:

This is the legendary American Firefly. After refusing a British offer to acquire their own 17 pounder armed tank for a long time, the US Army finally saw reason in early 1945 and ordered the conversion of 160 tanks. A fair number of them was based on the latest version of the 75mm Sherman then available, the M4A3E8(75)W, itself a rare beast with very few known photos. Others were based on the M4 composite or the regular M4A3 with VVSS. With the end of the war imminent, the order was cancelled in March, after 80 tanks had been completed and delivered. 20 more were still under conversion at the time, these were transferred to the British. It is not known of any of the US Fireflies ever reached frontline units or what happened to them after the war. Official documents prove their existence, that's enough for me right now :mrgreen:

I'll be using yet another Orange Box kit:

This time however it won't be quite such a nightmare. The only old parts in this kit are the turret and the figures. Everything else is the same you get with all the other recent Dragon kits, including workable HVSS and etched fenders.

Raised hull weld seams! :shock:

And yet another Orange Box kit will provide the Firefly parts, with the rest scheduled to be turned into a standard composite M4 at some point.

I even have a turned barrel by RB model for it:

Specifically designed for the old Dragon Fireflies, it fits perfectly!

Alright then - once more unto the bench dear friends! :twisted:

Philipp
Last edited by Philipp Gross on 30 Aug 2014, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Philipp Gross wrote:I guess the time has come then...

You're going to have to be disqualified Philipp. The GB starts at 00:01 :lol: :lol:

You're certainly a sucker for punishment using these old Dragon kits. Have you learnt nothing from the M50 build :shock: :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this one progress though. Definately has a purposeful look about it 8-)

Gary

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

But it says it's saturday :? Do you suggest Microsoft Windows makes mistakes? :o :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I guess I could slaughter two Tasca kits to get a better start....but as I wrote the M4A3E8 is basically 90% new and there are only a few parts of the old Firefly kit that I'll be using. So I guess the risk is manageable :lol:

A question: Do we get our own blogs within this sub-forum or do we all post in this single thread?

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Philipp Gross wrote:do we all post in this single thread?

Philipp
Yes :D

Gary

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Let's hope we won't have another "Shilka" incident then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

I'm not sure Mr.E even knows that he even created Shilkagate :lol:

Gary

Mark Aldrich
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

IDF Disney Sherman

Post by Mark Aldrich »

I have not started and the cover is slightly wrong. Doctor Manasherob was not nice enough to allow me to publish the picture of the vehicle I will be making but it is basically a M4 105mm Sherman rearmed with a 75mm M2/M3 gun. The neat part is the Markings. There is a set of Shermans in the Independence Day parade of 1949 that sport Disney characters above the registration number. In all there were 2 Mickeys, 1 Minnie, and Pluto. Here is all that I am using.... Several of the pieces are figures that I am still not sure if I am up to do yet. The CMK item in the picture will not be used as it does not have the detail that should be there. I will be salvaging the proper part from the Dragon MkIII kit.
Last edited by Mark Aldrich on 30 Aug 2014, 03:13, edited 2 times in total.
Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War
TreadHead is NOT an ugly word

Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Nice Mark. The M4(105) is actually quite a good kit - I used it to make a 1B not so long ago.

Gary