Panzer III based vehicles

Group Builds no longer eligible for campaign medals but which participants can still update. No new entries accepted into these builds.
Vincent Power
Senior Site Contributor.....

Re: Panzer III based vehicles

Post by Vincent Power »

This is my inspiration
for inspiration purposes only
for inspiration purposes only
stug.jpg (60.93 KiB) Viewed 8993 times
I'll be using this
Box Top Art.jpg
Box Top Art.jpg (121.2 KiB) Viewed 8993 times
as well as some aftermarket bits and pieces
aftermarket.jpg
aftermarket.jpg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 8993 times
I also have an old Jaguar resin interior I might be tempted to try but following the blurry photocopy instructions might prove troublesome :shock: If it doesn't work out I still have the resin Tarp to cover most of it up :lol:
interior.jpg
interior.jpg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 8993 times
Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Nice work Gentlemen,

Vincent, that's a lot of PE for what looks like a stripped down Stug :?
and an interior too, but duff instructions :roll:
Looks very interesting ;)
I'm off to figure out how to rescue the resin running gear as it is rubbish, more later

Great start everyone

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

Rod, I nominate....*drummroll*.....the IIIL! ;)

Gary, when I noticed your question yesterday I was way to sleepy to realize what it was about :lol: .
I encountered those a couple of times and they still don't make sense...they might be for some of the later ZW chassis based vehicles, I think some Panzer III have more fender supports...

Anyway - the instructions once again are insane, but that's pretty much a given by now :lol: .
No mention of the additional frontal armour, so I was busy closing up the indentations for it until I took a look at the reference picture...

It's a rather obvious thing, really.. it IS and 8ZW based vehicle and as such really ought to have additional frontal armour...my bad :oops:

Aaaaand another of those cases.. they do seem to occur even more often if it's a White Box kit... I suppose there is a bug nest somewhere? :lol:
How the instructions show it =>

And the only way it works.. also not the ever so slightly different mounting.. ;)

And the current state of affairs =>

Really Vincent..."some aftermarket bits and pieces"? SOME? :lol: - This will be awesome :D !

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:

Rod Dumouchel

Post by Rod Dumouchel »

Raoul Kunz wrote:Rod, I nominate....*drummroll*.....the IIIL! ;)

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Good one Raoul, Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.L Late Production w/Winterketten it is! Really making me stretch on this one never have done one in winter Camo but have always wanted to. You get three Painting and Marking options in the kit. All are in Panzer Grey with white wash, all at Kharkov 1943, two are from unidentified units. The one I'll be doing is the vehicle depicted on the box art No. 32 from Pz. Rgt. 15, 11th Panzer Div.

Have feed the kids wife is working till 3. Have my coffee time to get to work!!! ;) ;)

Regards,
Rod

Steve Hutchinson

Post by Steve Hutchinson »

Time to cut the plastic, or dremil the resin :roll:

Count the parts, check for broken ones and so far so good, all there and nothing broken ;)

Start with the usual, wheels and suspension, well the wheels have loads of flash and the stub axles look a little suspicious, there are no locating holes and there is no braket to put them in, a photo will identify my problem
THE AXLE
THE HOLE?
BUG*ER what next?????
Well I thought what would Gary do, put a full axle in, so here we go ;)
and do it 4 more times
now we have drilled the axle slot, dremil the wheels
and the rest of the round bits too
I need more bras rod, so I will have to pop down to the LHS for railways tomorrow to get some more.

I need some track to be able to set the correct length for the axles, so its the Kasten tracks next.

More tomorrow

Steve H
""I need to be creative, to feel ALIVE!""

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice work so far Steve. But that Gary person is a dangerously bad influence :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Raoul Kunz

Post by Raoul Kunz »

You have my utmost respect Steve! :o
I have to admit I'd hate working with a resin-only kit, chiefly because of having to work with CA glue and correction being near impossible :oops: :lol: .

I also found out what the marking that you wondered about are Gary. It's markings for fixing the additional fender supports....I should have, I don't know.. noticed when I built all the IIIs... :? :oops:

I also fear that Gary must be rubbing off... only in minor amounts in my case, but it's there.. I unthinkingly chose the PE option over the plastic option :lol: .

Now that I'm almost done with the build, I feel the immediate need to justify the fact that I'm doing a buttoned up vehicle:
a) The only picture we have is doctored, or at least cut in places (that will addressed further down).
b) "That's no justification, it's a F/8, you know how it looks for the most part, you only don't want to do figures because you suck at figures!" ;) - True, all too true, but I will do a little diorama for this vehicle anyway. It will involve two figures and an animal (I thinks it's easy to guess which one if you know my preferences :lol: ) and will be placed in a similar setting (actually just similar paving, there is nothing else in the photo anyway that really is distinct...) as the only photo we have.

I also made the decision to close up the hole for the optics instead of just leaving the hole as Dragon suggests. Now that I have completely buttoned up the vehicle I had a moment of "gnarf" once I decided to do the unthinkable and use my brain: the vehicle may lack optics because they where cut off in the photo an Dragon reproduced the only photo (which makes sense really, that's no criticism)... there is really no reason why it should not have the gunners optics, it's not as if you aim a flamethrower through the drivers optics... :? . (I will clean up the whole area once everything is dry, it suffered a but from a glue spill caused by sneezing...)

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
~fiat iustitia aut pereat mundus~

Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Raoul Kunz wrote: I also found out what the marking that you wondered about are Gary. It's markings for fixing the additional fender supports....

Raoul. Nope. I'm aware of those additional fender supports marks. What I found was an approx 10mm x 10mm square section around the rear idler mounts. It was like a square had been cut out and and replaced with another, leaving a slight indentation. I've cleaned the edges up so it's not visible but can put up an image and photoshop the square to show you where I mean.

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Vincent Power

Post by Vincent Power »

Great work so far everyone. The Panzer Team is going strong :lol:

Gary thanks for sorting out the posting issue for me. :D and super work so far on your StuG.
Steve Hutchinson wrote:Nice work Gentlemen,

Vincent, that's a lot of PE for what looks like a stripped down Stug :?
and an interior too, but duff instructions :roll:
Looks very interesting ;)

Steve H
Thanks Steve, I've learned before that stripped down means more details, plus I might not be using it all :D
You've come up with a well sorted solution to the axle problem. A full resin kit is very brave but I'm sure you'll do a good job on it.
Raoul Kunz wrote:Rod, I nominate....*drummroll*.....the IIIL! ;)

Really Vincent..."some aftermarket bits and pieces"? SOME? :lol: - This will be awesome :D !

Best regards

Raoul G. Kunz
Raoul, what can I say? :oops: It seemed like a good idea at the time :lol:

But you are going quick on yours. Seems like I blinked and you have almost finished building the F8.

Rod, good choice with the Panzer III. Those Winterketten tracks are cool! ;)

Cheers,
Vincent
Completed Campaigns:

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

You guys do know you have 5 months to complete these builds not 5 days right :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage