M4(105) Sherman

Participants in the SHELF QUEEN Group Build post here.
Rob Matthews

M4(105) Sherman

Post by Rob Matthews »

My photofile tells m that this was started in 10.02.2012. I am shamed.

I lost momentum trying to fit some Miniart "U.S. tank crew" that are not particularly good. I also blanched at the paint job -- I'm aiming for this

But with Philipp's blog spurring me on - it's back to the build - I find that mentally you have to start at the beginning of the instructions and work your way through.

The Light guards are always a trial in PE. I looked at buying some 3D printed from Shapeways - £8 to buy and nearly£ 8 postage. I'm not certain that this build meits that - so stupidly or otherwise I reverted to filing down the plastic offerings :roll:

However I did buy (back then) an "Exhaust Deflector" - it doesn't seem to fit very well. Gary is it worth persevering with this? They only seem to appear in a few original pics.

It's an innocuous looking piece of resin - I remember Gary building his from etch which was a thoroughly frightening prospect from my perspective. His of course turned out Very nicely

It's restarted :lol:

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Re: M4(105) Sherman

Post by Philipp Gross »

Why my blog of all things? :lol:

Good looking Sherman you got there! As for the exhaust deflector, in theory all large hatch M4 and M4A1 had these....in practice probably a few less. If you want to be 100% accurate, you can add the empty fittings for one. This picture could help. Don't worry about the armoured covers for the air filters, these were introduced extremely late in the war.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

The model in your ref pic looks very convincing, amazing what a backdrop and monochrome does for an image.

Don't be embarrassed of a 2012 build, I pulled an unfinished T38 off the shelf yesterday to finish the paint! then buggered it up!
Completed Campaigns:

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

@ Philipp - Clumsily put but I meant by "your Blog" - the Shelf Queen idea :|

And thanks for the pic which is the most instructive I've seen and for the info - It would be rude NOT to fit it now ;)

@Vlad -
Vlad Seabrook-Smith wrote:The model in your ref pic looks very convincing, amazing what a backdrop and monochrome does for an image
:lol: :lol:

(there's always one :roll: )

Rob ;)
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Good to see this one up and running again Rob. Philipp's already answered your question above so leaving the deflector off is certainly well within the realms of accuracy. If I didn't have my stuff all packed up, I'd offer to make a PE one up and send it over to you. Can still do it you're prepared to wait several week....

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Gary - that is a VERY kind offer - but I'll run with the 3D piece if only to see how it comes out.

Thanks+++

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

No worries. You know where to find me if you change your mind ;)

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Shawn Ramsey
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Looking forward to it Rob. Don't feel bad about when you started it. I have you beat. :lol:

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage