M4A1 Sherman

Participants in the SHELF QUEEN Group Build post here.
Ian Shumsky

M4A1 Sherman

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Next up from the 'must do better' list is Italari’s very old M4A1 Sherman. The kit is OOB except an RB Models Browning MG barrel and Dragon DS tracks (taken from the Dragon El Alamein Sherman kit).

As you can see the model is oh-so-very-nearly complete. There is some minor detail painting left to do, fix on the broken idler wheel, fix the tracks and then lightly weather. The issue is that I think I trimmed the tracks for some reason and they are now a bit short, and I expect that is why the build stalled. Anyway, we're here to work past that, so onwards!

First task was to fix the broken wheel. As there was a lot of paint in the area I used a superglue gel

While this was drying I found a piece of board which may be used as a base if there are issues with the tracks. If I use this then it would be mostly a simple scenic base as a test for my static grass dispenser rather than anything more adventurous

My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Ian Shumsky

Re: M4A1 Sherman

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Next step was to fix the tracks and, as I suspected, there are some gaps. The left hand side isn't that bad, but there is a larger gap on the right

The first gap is about half a pad, while the second is a pad and a half. I'm thinking of using some sheet styrene as a custom sized pad and spare Bronco guide horns. With some mud and grass around the areas, and suitably placed figures, should hide the issue! I hope to get the new liks added and painted in the next few days and will then provide an update. I'll probably also start working on the base a bit as well.
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Nice looking Sherman Ian! :)

A pity about the tracks, but it sounds like you have a good solution at hand.

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Bet that will fix up nicely.

A static grass dispenser Eh? Is that the Noch? Worth the money - I'm interested in what you think? Shawn has one - they are just so hideously expensive

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Vlad Seabrook-Smith

Post by Vlad Seabrook-Smith »

Agreed! that should be done in no time :)
Completed Campaigns:

Gary Boxall
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Gary Boxall »

Is it worth trying to adjust the idler wheel to sort out the track conundrum?

Gary
Hi. My name is Gary and I'm an ex-Shermaholic....

Shawn Ramsey
Senior Site Contributor.....
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Rob Matthews wrote:Bet that will fix up nicely.

A static grass dispenser Eh? Is that the Noch? Worth the money - I'm interested in what you think? Shawn has one - they are just so hideously expensive

Rob
Not as much as all that stuff I got from Mig :roll: :roll:
Gary Boxall wrote:Is it worth trying to adjust the idler wheel to sort out the track conundrum?

Gary
You have mentioned this before but I never can figure out how you do that. The ones I have build have one postion they go into. No adjustments allowed. Every tracked vehicle I have build I always have problems with the tracks not fitting.

Now back to the topic. Nice work Ian. :D

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage