MQ-9 Reaper

Participants in the SHELF QUEEN Group Build post here.
Ian Shumsky

MQ-9 Reaper

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Rob, Philipp, yeah, it is a shameful list! I really don't seem to be able to stick to just one project

Well, it is now the 2nd October and we have 3 months to the end of the year, so time to kick on!

Tonight I removed the last of the Pro-Modeller wash and applied some light oil washes to the wheel bay and landing gear, and when dry I applied a matt varnish to seal everything in. I masked off the base of the rotor blades and sprayed some Alclad Aluminium to the housing. With these things done, there is not much left to complete -- some minor drybrushing on some parts, attachment of the clear pieces, addition of some 'little lenses' on the Hellfire missiles and then final assembly. Should get that all done on Friday, just in time for the Abingdon show on Saturday.

My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Ian Shumsky

Re: MQ-9 Reaper

Post by Ian Shumsky »

I have to admit that I feel a bit like a cheat on this one! The build was far enough along it didn't take that much work to finish it off. Anyway, she's done! I'm mostly happy with the final build, but don't look too close

Overall this was a nice little kit, but with some minor issues. The front landing gear is a single piece and not very well detailed and the rear landing gear is too weak for the weight of the finished model and bow a little when displayed. I think you can get replacement metal landing gear, but as those are about as much as the base kit they are a luxury! I'm not 100% convinced by the kit's painting instructions -- I'm on the lookout for a set of RAF markings and may consider another build if I can find some... after completing the X-47B done from the shelf, and the RQ-1 Predator, MQ-1 Predator and RQ-4B Global Hawk from the stash.

I'll try and take a bunch of photos for a proper submission, but until then I'll leave you with an 'iconic' view of the Reaper

Chris Smith
Senior Site Contributor.....

Post by Chris Smith »

Nice result Ian :D

It's getting past the 95% finished mark where I tend to fail too :D

Chris
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Really great work on that slightly unnerving bird :D

(seriously, am I the only one who thinks that armed drones are ever so slightly creepy? :? )

PHilipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

Looks about done from here.

Nice work Ian.

Where have you been? I have not seen you around in a while. 8-)

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Many thanks guys.

Chris, yeah, that last few steps seem to take so much time. It's like the 80/20 rule... the first 80% of the build takes 80% of the time, then the last 20% of the build also takes 80% of the time!

Philipp, I think they will become even more scary when they become UAAVs... Unmanned Autonomous Aerial Vehicles

Shawn, I've been lurking but work and family have been very hectic over the summer. I *think* I'm getting my mojo back at long last and I desperately want to close off my stalled builds so I can start mew stuff (and maybe try and finish them!). We'll see how I do...

Shawn Ramsey

Post by Shawn Ramsey »

We are surly glad to have you back.

Shawn
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImage