The Shelf Queen Campaign

Participants in the SHELF QUEEN Group Build post here.
Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

The Shelf Queen Campaign

Post by Philipp Gross »

Welcome to Plastic Armour's official Shelf Queen campaign :D

We decided to keep things simple: Just post your project in its current state here and then the updates until it's done :mrgreen:

This campaign will be ongoing - Feel free to enter and finish as many as you want. Honour and Glory awaits those wo finish the most :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Shumsky

Re: The 2015 Shelf Queens Campaign

Post by Ian Shumsky »

An interesting happenstance! I have just gone through my Shelf of Shame to list what is outstanding and come to the unavoidable conclusion that while I like to build models, it seems I don’t like to finish models! Seems that I am not completer-finisher kind of person, which may be a bit of a liability when you look at the Wikipedia definition:

“The Completer/Finisher is a perfectionist and will often go the extra mile to make sure everything is "just right," and the things he or she delivers can be trusted to have been double-checked and then checked again. The Completer Finisher has a strong inward sense of the need for accuracy, and sets his or her own high standards rather than working on the encouragement of others. They may frustrate their teammates by worrying excessively about minor details and by refusing to delegate tasks that they do not trust anyone else to perform.”

It seems I do not have one or two models that have been put to one side. Instead I have 25 builds at various stalled states. I have set myself a goal to not start anything new until I can significantly reduce this count, and in the process clear my shelves so I can display completed models rather than bits and pieces sticking up from boxes.

So, here is what I have waiting to be wrapped up, in no particular order:

Armour
Italeri 1/35 M4A1 Sherman: Tracks need to be attached and overall weathering finished
Trumpeter 1/35 Challenger II: Need to source and build a set of tracks, followed by detail painting, decals and weathering
Trumpeter 1/35 Grizzly: Need to cast replacement resin wheels, than complete construction
Trumpeter 1/35 LAV: Base paining complete with detail painting outstanding. Need to cast replacement resin wheels then finish painting and weathering
Hobby Boss 1/35 Boxer: Need to complete build then cast replacement resin wheels
Tamiya 1/35 Semovente 75/18 SPG: At detailed painting stage.
Dragon 1/35 El Alamein Sherman MkII: Hull is complete and just started on full turret interior. Need to build another set of bronco tracks.
AFV Club 1/35 IDF Sh'ot Kal 1973: In painting, but rubber on road wheels has warped and misshaped the wheels
Tamiya 1/35 M1025 Humvee: Early in paining stage
Italeri 1/35 M998 Humvee: A very early build and is in several bits around in boxes. May see the bin
Trumpeter 1/35 Sd.Kfz.7/1: In build - just completed running gear so fair bit left to do.
Dragon 1/35 SCUD w/ TEL: Very early in the build cycle -- still working on lower chassis

Aircraft
Revell 1/48 MQ-9 Reaper: Very nearly finished. In the final stages of decal application
Freedom Models 1/48 X-47B: Build is complete aside from 3 pieces of etch. About to enter the painting process
Airfix 1/72 B29 Superfortress: Picked up cheap as a part built kit, but missing some parts so may end up in the bin

Real Space
Airfix 1/72 Apollo V Eagle Lunar Module: Needs final detail painting and decal application
Airfix 1/144 Saturn V: Build complete (apart from some final shaping of the kit's abysmal F1 engines) and ready for first painting stages
Revell 1/144 White Knight: In painting stage, but have made a total mess of the glazing so will likely get binned. I'll probably source the kit again as it is an interesting vehicle.
Revell 1/144 Space Shuttle: Boosters and fuel tank complete, but in build of shuttle itself

Helicopters
Italeri 1/72 AH-64D: In build, about 75% complete
Hobby Boss 1/72 Eurocopter Tiger HAP: Build just started, painting interior prior to sealing fuselage halves
Dragon 1/72 Kamov Ka-50 Hokum: Build hardly started with initial work on the cockpit only
Italeri 1/72 Kamov Ka-50 Hokum: Build hardly started with initial work on the cockpit only

Sci-Fi
Hasegawa 1/20 Falke: Still very much in the build phase. Making significant changes to the kit and seems to stall whenever I run into issues

Misc
Trumpeter 1/144 Submarine: Build at about 80%, but a nasty kit with bad fit that may end up getting binned.

Some very different models around there, in many different stages of build! I'm planning on picking the most advanced builds to see if I can make a dent into these. I'm sure part of my problem is that I have too many things on the go so never know what to work on, so for a change I'll be doing these mostly one at a time so I can actually focus on finishing a model before moving to the next one. So based on this I'm planning on trying to close the following off in the next couple of months:

Revell 1/48 MQ-9 Reaper
Freedom Models 1/48 X-47B
Italeri 1/35 M4A1 Sherman
Airfix 1/72 Apollo V Eagle Lunar Module
Airfix 1/144 Saturn V

I'll get some pictures up shortly of the MQ-9 and I'll try and track progress here. Not planning on full blogs -- just trying to finish these off

Wish me luck!
My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Philipp Gross wrote:...by virtue of being stuck in Switzerland until October 5th....

Philipp

Sounds terrible! There's nothing to do or see in Switzerland.

I've got some trucks and things which I've only neglected because I've not yet built the diorama to support them. I'll post up pictures to help you pass the time while you're "stuck" in Switzerland.
"You used up all the glue...............ON PURPOSE!" - Darren McGavin

Completed Campaigns:

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

John Everett wrote: Sounds terrible! There's nothing to do or see in Switzerland.
I just tried to make it sound better for those who are not stuck in Switzerland, who are not forced to partake in hiking through marvellous landscapes, breathtaking trips with historic steamships and steam trains and wo are not subjected to the best food you'll find in all of Europe :lol:

But back to topic: I have far too many shelf queens around to count from afar, but at least I'll try to finish these:

Hobby Boss #83804 VK 18.01 Panzer I Ausf. F prototype version

Dragon #6383 Tiger I late with Zimmerit (has since been painted dark yellow)

And finally, my shelf God-Emperor - Dragon #9028 Stug III Ausf. F turned into a D/E hybrid as seen in Prague 1945. I think I haven't worked on this since about 2007.........

I shall start on these once I'm back from that horrible horrible place in the mountains :lol:

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

Ian Shumsky

Post by Ian Shumsky »

Some (rather poor) pictures of the status of the first 5 items I'm looking to wrap up. First, an overall snap of all of them (and a picture of the weekend newspaper as a time stamp!)

Airfix 1/144 Saturn V - all ready for a bit of a clean and then into the paint shop. It is mostly white so I have a rattle can for this work!

Freedom Models 1/48 X-47B - this requires a few pieces of etch to be applied to the landing gear and the a dust down before priming and painting.

Revell 1/48 MQ-9 Reaper - those dirty splodges are Pr-Modeller wash waiting to be cleaned off! I need to finish the detail wash and then will follow with a matt varnish, some light dry brushing, then fixing all the pieces together

Italeri 1/35 M4A1 Sherman - I've noticed that a drive sprocket has come lose so that will need to be reattached, then I'll be fixing the tracks. I think I need a couple of extra links which I'll source from a Bronco set, but will double check when I get to it

Airfix 1/72 Apollo V Eagle Lunar Module - this needs a good dust them more detail painting and some very subtle weathering, probably in a light grey drybrush.

My sedentary pursuits http://www.outerarm.co.uk

Rob Matthews

Post by Rob Matthews »

Ian - good to see you posting back and That IS a very impressive and deeply shameful list :oops: :lol:

I'm still waiting to see that X-47B. The Reaper looks very neat too. Go for it ;)

@Philipp - Not too much work needed there :)

And my offering (if the Takom Chieftain doesn't go and get released) is this Sherman that began as a Duel Blog with Gary (How did I ever think that was going to work out :roll: :lol: )

I'm actually pretty disciplined when it comes to completing projects :geek:

Rob
Modelling the mundane

Completed Campaigns:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Philipp Gross
Site Admin/Founder

Post by Philipp Gross »

Ian, that's a magnificent collection :shock:

Rob - nice Sherman! I had the same experience with Gary :lol:

Depending on my progress with these three I might add another one or two....

Philipp
Completed Campaigns:

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

This campaign is going to need a silluette.

Might I suggest that those who complete a model be able to post something along these lines:

Completed Campaigns:

Jan Persson

Post by Jan Persson »

Love it John :lol:

May I suggest replacing the crown with the sillutte of a tank?

John Everett
Senior Site Contributor
Senior Site Contributor

Post by John Everett »

Jan Persson wrote:Love it John :lol:

May I suggest replacing the crown with the silhouette of a tank?

You mean like this:

OK enough fun. Down to serious business!
This is the shelf holding up my shelf queens.

That's:
2 trucks (one Dodge, one German)
2 Jeeps (because I've got a thing for them)
1 yellow German halftrack (because yellow was a thing for them)
1 French Bofors truck (because the US army didn't have a thing for them)
1 little delivery van (because there's a blacksmith diorama destined for Omaha in 2 years)
1 Sexton (because of the same blacksmith diorama)

Absolutely no plans to complete all of these before the end of the year. But a Jeep or two may see some paint.

There's not much on that shelf, really. I tend to finish or cut-up for parts most of the things I begin.

Completed Campaigns: